Pain clinic referral

TheLordFlasheart
TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
edited 20. Feb 2017, 12:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
So, went to my GP today as over the past week or so my knee has not really settled and the pain has been unbearable at times, not even co-codamol has cut through the pain at times, and had a run of sleepless nights :cry:

I mentioned the pain clinic (this was bought up at my hydrotherapy sessions), and see if I could get referred, as im running out of options, and willing to try anythign right now (baring surgery).

He was willing to refer me, but did mention going on to stronger opiates, i.e tramadol or morphine, but I decided to holf off for now unitl I go to the pain clinic.

I know I've got OA for rest of my life, but at times it feesl like an uphill struggle.
"Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I am sorry it's been so bad for you lately :(

I understand the sleepless nights so well. ((()))

I agree with you about avoiding 'stronger' meds you might need them in the future.

The pain clinic is a really good idea, they can loan tens machines I think if you haven't already tried one?

Do you use a wheat-bag at all (sorry I can't remember :oops: ) if you have and it helps, you can buy small heat up patches which fit in a special bandage thingy. Google heat patches fro knees. Got to be worth a try,

Take care and let us know how the pain clinic goes.

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It is, indeed, an uphill struggle but you are exploring all the options and that can only be good. Even if you feel it doesn't take you any further you have at least tried and, who knows, they might come up with something really useful. I hope so.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • TheLordFlasheart
    Do you use a wheat-bag at all (sorry I can't remember :oops: ) if you have and it helps, you can buy small heat up patches which fit in a special bandage thingy. Google heat patches fro knees. Got to be worth a try,

I managed to find one on a well known online shopping site, and ordered one, should have it by monday, and will give it go to see if it helps at work.

Its now just a case of waiting for my appointment, and see where it goes from there.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I have had a few appointments with our pain clinic..the first thing they did is get you to fill in a very long form..ie pain 1 to ten and whereabouts on the body..the effects on your life..has far as I know the clinics can be different some have more to offer than others..you are right to try ans stay clear of the very strong meds....has its good to have something in reserve..there are the pain patches ..I am on butrans..they do help to take the edge of things..but go along and ask questions..it does help to make a list of things you want to know..and good luck ...
    Love
    Barbara
  • TheLordFlasheart
    Quick update -recieved my letter for pain clinic referral on the 10th March today.

Im surprised at how quick this referral was form originally seeing my GP on the 3rd of this month.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Good. Sometimes things do happen in a reasonable amount of time though, naturally, people are more inclined to post when they don't.

Thanks for the update. I do hope you find it helpful.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • TheLordFlasheart
    Just rechecked my letter and the appointment is 18th March, not the 10th.....