Any help welcome

Options
stremlett
stremlett Member Posts: 37
edited 10. Feb 2017, 13:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
In the course of eight weeks my life has been dramatically changed and I have gone from a lively 68 year old to an old old lady unable to do many things. OK that's enough wallowing for now. I'm trying to re-instate my lifestyle. Some aids have been fabulous others not. My bathseat is great (for showers), me two handled china mug and fat cutlery. I have bought a Kindle as I can prop it up instead if holding it and swipe instead of trying to turn the pages.

I wonder if anyone knows how to use speech recognition software and could they recommend one? I can no longer touch type or use a mouse easily. Any ideas?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find support, help, information and friendship here.
    I am one of the moderation team and we all have or care for family who have one or more of the arthriitis 'hangers' on.
    Best wishes
    ChrisK
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. Do you know what kind of arthritis is causing all this upset? Are you being treated by your GP, or a rheumatologist? How many joints are being affected and how? I am sorry for the questions but knowing a little more about what is happening with you will help us to reply in a more relevant manner. I've been affected now for twenty years (I am 57) so have had time to get used to the difficulties that the disease presents: for you, however, this reversal of fortune is very rapid, especially if you were 'blessed' with good health before.

I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stremlett
    Options
    webmanager wrote:
    Hi stremlett,
    I am sorry to hear that your arthritis is causing you so many problems and that you are finding an increasingly need to acquire aids to assist you. I use Dragon naturally speaking which works well but you need to be able to wear a headset with a microphone. If you have problems with your arms you might find it difficult to put the headset on. It also requires some training to recognise your voice.
    I have found this review that may help you and it has reviews of quit a few products which appear to be cheaper and have more stars. So worth a good look around. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    http://www.capterra.com/speech-recognition-software/
    Best Wishes
    Sharon

Thank you so much Sharon. I like the look of Speechnote and I'm amazed at the accuracy. I need to spend time on it but I have high hopes, thank you :-)
  • stremlett
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. Do you know what kind of arthritis is causing all this upset? Are you being treated by your GP, or a rheumatologist? How many joints are being affected and how? I am sorry for the questions but knowing a little more about what is happening with you will help us to reply in a more relevant manner. I've been affected now for twenty years (I am 57) so have had time to get used to the difficulties that the disease presents: for you, however, this reversal of fortune is very rapid, especially if you were 'blessed' with good health before.

I wish you well. DD

Hi DD
    It started in December with pain and swelling in my hands. A few days later I got carpal tunnel pains which were very severe at night together with shoulder pain. Everything is on both sides. My GP described painkillers co-codamol and naproxen and referred me to a rheumatologist. My blood profile is normal. I saw the rheumatologist a few weeks ago and numerous tests are being done. He says it is probably osteoarthritis but needs to exclude autoimmune problems.

Since then the stiffness during the night and early morning has become much worse and it is now difficult to shower, dress, and sit or go downstairs. Also my fingers are closing and can't be opened though I manage to use my hands painfully and to a degree. During the tests it was found that I had bilateral basil chest sounds and x-ray confirmed an enlarged heart. Tests are continuing on that too.

So that's the story so far. Thank you very much for your kindness.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I use Dragon software at work and also at home and it's great.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hi there and welcome from me, too :)

If you are seeing a rheumatologist I'm sure he / she will sort you out on the meds front if you do have some autoimmune form of arthritis. Unfortunately diagnosis is sometimes not straightforward let alone instant, which is what we'd all prefer :wink: However, we are here to sympathise and empathise.

I can't help on the software front except to say that, from what I've read on here, Dragon used to appear to be the best of a bad bunch. Oddly, I get the impression that it doesn't cope as well with a northern accent as a southern one :? (Discrimination or what :lol: ) If at all possible to 'try before you buy' I'd go for that whichever system you fancy.

As for the rest, there are now lots of aids on the market – some in disability shops and others mainstream – which make our lives immeasurably easier. Electric jar and can openers, thick-handled pens and cutlery, sock 'putter-onners', long handled shoe horns, even electric toothbrushes are so much easier and better than the non-electric ones. Check out an online disability store for ideas.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello stremlett and a warm welcome form me
    I am 67 this year and was 57 when I was diagnosed and remember this awful feeling very well, like you i was very fit and it was such a shock to start having to use aids...it took me quite some time and even now I have down days..but must say I have more good days, I do think that acceptance is a big part of it..you will get there...
    I have had a go at the old dragon speak and type, and found it hard work ..but a friend has the new one and it is totally different and much better..I hope you find something to help.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • stremlett
    Options
    Hello Everyone, thank you to everybody who replied. I'm very glad that this forum exists.

I have found the speech notes software to be amazing: Accurate, fast and totally free of charge. I dictate into the page in the notepad and then copy and paste into the forum, email or whatever I want to fill in. I am Welsh but my accent is slight and speech notes get me each time.

I am beginning to realise that these problems won't just go away like a bad dream. I am starting to get that acceptance thing going! Once again thank you for your support love SueT
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello again, I apologise for not replying before now but one way and another I am not doing too well, which is irksome. The speed at which this has happened to you is astonishing (and disconcerting, yes?) I hope that I will be back to my more usual self over the weekend but, in the meantime, I am thinking of you and wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stremlett
    Options
    Hello DD

It is distressing and alarming but no new symptoms for the past three weeks which is a relief. Sometimes I get the feeling that doctors (multi GP group) think I am attention seeking and exaggerating things. I am getting first-rate care from NHS Circle at Queens Medical Centre and know that everything is being done :-)

I hope things pick up for you soon. Suex