Failed Thumb Fusion

lindalegs
lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
edited 8. Feb 2017, 06:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

Some of you might remember that I had my L/H thumb fused in August 2015 and the ensuing trauma of the wires coming through my skin afterwards. Over this Christmas period I recognised familiar pain in my thumb and realised that wire 4 was on the its way out! I had the pesky thing removed in clinic when it was tenting the skin and very sore.

I was very relieved to have my comfortable thumb back once again but am gutted to report that the operation has failed and I am no further forward. :roll: Whilst the wires were in place they held the thumb strongly, in a good position and I loved having an improved grip and all the advantages it gave me.

When I saw my surgeon he did say there were other ways to keep wires in place so I just have to decide whether to have it done again!

Anyway just thought I’d share for others considering this surgery.

Love,
Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh poor you Legs :(

Very frustrating. All that for nothing!

I do indeed remember the escapee wire(s) yes. I guess you will need to have a think about what is next for your thumb.

Love

Toni xx
  • lindalegs
    I do have to think about it, yes Toni, though I've got till 20th July for my next appointment. Mr Legs is going to come in with me so we can all chat to the surgeon.

Thanks for replying :D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh Legs, I am so sorry to read this, I do recall the wires making a break for freedom and it is such a pity that it has failed to permanently improve matters for you. I send you my best wishes and hope that some kind of improvement can be effected in due course. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    Thanks DD. I've got over the disappointment now. The only thing is I know what it's like to have a strong thumb again and I think I want it back :roll:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Oh, that's tough. To have a taste of strength and then have it taken away again. I wish you good luck with your decision making, Legs.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    Thanks SW. The support this forum gives is always very comforting.

2.gif
    to you all.
    Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Oh Legs, I'm sorry to hear this. I do remember

It will be good to have your OH there to help make decisions. Well listen to what will be said and its always another opinion to help make your mind up

Love
    Hileena
  • lindalegs
    Thanks Hileena ....it proves that he does have his uses a065.gif

Though I don't mean that really as he's decorating the dining room as we speak! :D

1thanxstar.gif again :D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    How disappointing for you Legs and after all your hard work post-op as well!

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • lindalegs
    Never mind eh Grace, it's all a gamble at the end of the day anyway. It did prove to me what a great help having a stable thumb is :D

cartoon_thumb-up.gif

Thanks for replying.
    Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh Linda I am sorry, I know you were pleased with the grip you had..at least you can say you gave it your best go..whatever you decide we are all behind you...who knows what they will come up with... those nasty wires must have been painful x
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    Hi Barbara,

Good to see you and thanks for replying. :D

I still have my new knuckles on the same hand and I love them, it just means I don't get the best from them with my wobbly thumb, affectionately known as The Slug! 0-donaldduckoh.gif

The wires are grim when they move through your soft tissue, people say it must be like a splinter :shock: It is nothing like a splinter! :lol:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Linda I can only imagine... :shock: a splinter indeed..glad the knuckles are doing ok at least ..you take care..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    barbara12 wrote:
    Linda I can only imagine... :shock: a splinter indeed..glad the knuckles are doing ok at least ..you take care..xx

19-mooi.gif

Love,
    Love, Legs x