Hip oa

Juliew
Juliew Member Posts: 58
edited 14. Feb 2017, 03:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi my name is Julie, I'm 40 and I was diagnosed with hip oa 6 years, I was coping with it ok but the last few weeks I've been in pain daily although it's not severe, I work with it, I'm on my feet 8 hours a day. I've been taking naproxen on and off for a year and a half, I've recently been to a physiotherapist and have exercises to do at home but cos of the constant pain I haven't been doing them as often as I should. I'm overweight bit have joined weight watchers and have lost 2 stone so far. The constant pain is getting me down a bit and don't know what to do

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You've lost 2 stone? What an achievement, Julie :o Well done, you :D

That really should help but do try to persevere with the exercises too. I fwe keep our muscles strong they support the joints better and, if the joints are well-supported, they hurt less. Try taking some pain relief about 1/2 before you do the exercises. It should help.

By the way, if you look on the Chit Chat forum, 'mig' and 'Grace111' are also currently losing weight. 'Turbogran' and 'GraceB' have also lost a shedload between them. You'll get plenty of support for it. And good luck :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Juliew
    Juliew Member Posts: 58
    You've lost 2 stone? What an achievement, Julie :o Well done, you :D

That really should help but do try to persevere with the exercises too. I fwe keep our muscles strong they support the joints better and, if the joints are well-supported, they hurt less. Try taking some pain relief about 1/2 before you do the exercises. It should help.

By the way, if you look on the Chit Chat forum, 'mig' and 'Grace111' are also currently losing weight. 'Turbogran' and 'GraceB' have also lost a shedload between them. You'll get plenty of support for it. And good luck :D
    Thanks I'll have a look. I'm taking naproxen again 1 in the morning and 1 when I get home, then I try to do my exercises. The naproxen helps but don't know if there's something better, I've had zapain and tramadol in the past but the side affects were awful, which is why I've been given naproxen. Sitting down and driving is the worst.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    That is amazing Julie! 2stone!!

I have patches now for pain which I find really useful.

I don't know whether you are like me...most of the meds like codeine, tramadol etc make me woozy and queasy and leave me desperate for pain relief at the end of their effectiveness 4/6 hours.

The patches work over 7 days and I never have that 'hit' of the drug so feel fine :)

I know you can get some pain relief in slow release over 24 hours too so might be worth a chat with your doc?

Love

Toni xxx