exercise and arthritis

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
edited 7. Feb 2023, 10:10 in News Archive
We’re not suggesting you run a marathon but, if you have arthritis, exercise can really help your pain, mobility and joint strength.
If you have arthritis, you may be worried about whether exercise will make pain and stiffness worse or if it’ll harm your joints. But actually the reality is that muscles lose strength and joints become painful, stiff and unstable if they’re not exercised. Exercise can be really beneficial and won’t make arthritis worse as long as the right techniques are used.
Read our booklet on exercise and arthritis to find out about different techniques to use, how to manage pain and about exercising during flare-ups. We’ve got tips on exercises that work specifically for people with arthritis.
Please share the booklet with anyone you know who has arthritis.
https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/1313-exercise-and-arthritis
Best Wishes
Sharon

Comments

• etc1981
    etc1981 Member Posts: 9
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    moderator wrote:
    We’re not suggesting you run a marathon but, if you have arthritis, exercise can really help your pain, mobility and joint strength.
    If you have arthritis, you may be worried about whether exercise will make pain and stiffness worse or if it’ll harm your joints. But actually the reality is that muscles lose strength and joints become painful, stiff and unstable if they’re not exercised. Exercise can be really beneficial and won’t make arthritis worse as long as the right techniques are used.
    Read our booklet on exercise and arthritis to find out about different techniques to use, how to manage pain and about exercising during flare-ups. We’ve got tips on exercises that work specifically for people with arthritis.
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/1313-exercise-and-arthritis
    Best Wishes
    Sharon

Thanks for sharing this Sharon. Although I am not yet an arthritis sufferer, this advice confirms that that I have received from others regarding my ankle injury recovery and minimising the potential for arthritis in future years as a result of it.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Just found this post, its not doing exercise thats the problem, but being able to do something I enjoy, otherwise I won't do it. I have gone back to watersports, at a very reduced level, after ten years away, to what I used to do and just being on the water was enjoyable.

I'm not so sure that the watersports did much other than make me smile, its all the getting ready putting it all in the car and packing away that tires me!
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    What a brilliant booklet. Lots of very good advice. Thank you.
    Christine
  • Tonyg
    Tonyg Member Posts: 3
    The paper about exercise sounds like something I need, but the link in this thread doesn't go anywhere: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/1313-exercise-and-arthritis
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Tonyg and welcome to the Arthritis Care Forums.

As you may note, the original post linking to the Exercise Booklet is from April 2016 and the web site has had a small reorganisation since then.

You can now find the booklet "Exercise and arthritis" available here: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/1313-exercise-and-arthritis

Do come and join us by saying Hi in the "Say Hello" forum and tell us a bit more about yourself.

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • lindamay
    lindamay Member Posts: 118
    Hi. It is now 11 weeks since my hip op and I am walking reasonably well. I do no use my stick at home only if I go out. Sometime I feel its more habit than anything else. I think about swimming but is it too soon? I still find it difficult to move my leg sideways and to swim breast stroke I would need to. I cannot do the crawl. Also I used to play badminton (just for fun) but I do not know when it would be safe to try again. My consultant said as soon as I feel comfortably balanced it would be ok but I am unsure. I would hate to undue all the good work my husband has done in caring for me! Can you advise how much exercise I can/cannot do yet? Many thanks
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hey, aren't you doing well? Congratulations :D

I think you may have posted on the wrong forum, though if you want feedback from others.

As I recall, I think after a THR we should not do the breast stroke 'legwork' as it might be asking too much of the joint. i think people are advised to learn the crawl leg stroke. I'm sure you could get the odd lesson in it just to reassure you at first.

I can't help re badminton. I had thought that twisting motions such as in sport or dancing were off limits but probably joints have improved since I had mine. I think the AC booklet on exercise has a section on post-joint replacement though. Have a look https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/1313-exercise-and-arthritis And good luck :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lindamay
    lindamay Member Posts: 118
    Thank you for your help. The leaflet has a lot in it that is useful.
  • dalek
    dalek Member Posts: 32
    moderator wrote:
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-is-arthritis/resources/218-exercise-and-arthritis
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
    I found the leaflet a little confusing. It said if it still hurts after 2 hours you have done to much....my feet hurt most of the time so I would never do anything. I find getting the right balance difficult. I saw the locum rheumatologist recently and she said "getting the right balance is difficult"....very helpful :-)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    There is a difference between normal, everyday pain amd the extra pain that can come from exercise. You will learn to tell the difference but we each have to learn it for ourselves. Good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright