Reasonable Adjustments

Options
Tippytwotoes
Tippytwotoes Member Posts: 3
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this site and have just been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. Have been off sick for 3 months now and have first formal meeting this week. My question is what sort of adjustments can I ask for that will help me? I currently have pain in foot, hip, back and shoulder. My job involves being on my feet all day bending and stretching and lifting. I'm waiting to start DMARDS (hopefully next week) but I am in so much pain and just so tired all of the time. I really want to get back to work. Any advice on what can help with symptoms? Thank you

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday and all is well

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Tippytwotoes and welcome to the forums.

I'm thinking that your "first formal meeting" is with your employer who will be wanting to know if you will be able to "return to work as normal" and if not what sort of provision they will need to put in place.

To help further, it would be useful to know a bit more about your situation: is the meeting with a person from an HR Department, what sort of policy they may have regarding returning to work etc.

It may be helpful to take along any appropriate documentation about your treatment, along with any medical appointment letters and prescription details.

Arthritis Care web site has a factsheet called "Working with arthritis" which has a section on "Workplace adjustments" (page 26 onwards) which addresses the subject of reasonable adjustments to working conditions:
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/225-working-with-arthritis

You may also want to contact the Arthritis Care Helplines on 0808 800 4050 (Monday to Friday, 9.30am-5pm) for further advice.

Best wishes
    Brynmor
    Best wishes
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Hi Tippywotoes,

I have OA (left knee) and to go thorugh geting reasonable adjustments at my work. It wasn't easy as I had to essentially fight my corner, but once my employer agreed to referr me to Occupational Health it got easier.

The first adjustment was getting a new desk (well a vari desk that sits on yop of my existing desk), this was recomended when I had a workstation assesment.

In the last 2 weeks I have reduced my hours, due the fatigue I often get and struggle doing a full 7 hours. Anyone can request reduced hours.

Keep us updated.

Alastair
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • Tippytwotoes
    Tippytwotoes Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you. My meeting is with HR manager and I can take a friend or union rep with me.

I had an informal meeting about 4 weeks ago where I was informed that if I couldn't give a date for my return within 12 weeks they would seek to terminate my contract. I've worked here for 16 years in July.

The policy states that they will support return to work for 4 weeks with a phased return,but at end of 4 weeks I have to be able to return to my own job.

Basically I work in a store so am on my feet all day. Have to merchandise so am moving stock, lifting, bending etc.

I don't know what I can request that will actually help me. I don't know what will reduce my pain. Hopefully starting on DMARDS this week if my bloods are normal so I'm praying that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Am I being unrealistic to think I can return to this job?
    What happens if they terminate my contract due to illness? Do they have to pay compensation?

I've requested an OH referral but they've told me that isnt necessary!!

I'm just so tired and in so much pain and this is too much on top.
    Do I need to accept that going to work and being in pain is my new normal?
    Sorry for all the questions. Just feel overwhelmed right now.
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday and all is well
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    That does sound worrying. I'm afraid I know nothing about such things but this government site on 'reasonable adjustments' might help. http://tinyurl.com/npmydas Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Also, if we can help re the arthritis itself do post on the Living With Arthritis forum. Even where we can't change things just knowing others understand can help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright