Glucosamine

Juliew
Juliew Member Posts: 58
edited 13. Feb 2017, 08:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone know if glucosamine and chrondoitin is any good for osteoarthritis?

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Comments

• Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    My GP assured me it was, and had helped lots of his patients. He was so certain that he insisted on giving me a prescription for it, despite me saying I'd tried it and it didn't work. So I tried it again...and again it didn't work. I suspect it's one of those things that works for some people, and also depends on how bad your arthritis is. At the point I tried it, I had virtually no cartilage left in my knees, and I got new ones fairly soon afterwards. But you may as well give it a go. My GP said you had to take a very high dose; I can't remember how much, but take the highest dose tablets you can find.
  • Juliew
    Thank you, might be worth giving it a try

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    The NHS used sometimes to prescribe it but trials showed it wasn't doing much so it's not available on prescription now. My husband does swear by it. It helps him to continue to play golf but, as Helen says, it might depend on how bad one is.

I do know that strengths vary enormously so buy from a reliable source (H**lthsp*n are good) or take your local pharmacist's advice. The latter is best as you could explain what other meds you take and ensure there will be no clashes.

I believe there's some evidence for cod liver oil tablets being effective but, again, dosage probably comes into it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Juliew
    Thanks. I'm in pain everyday but not all day and have been for the last few weeks. I'll speak to a pharmacist and see what they say