Humira and dental problems.

Options
Becky88
Becky88 Member Posts: 96
edited 14. Feb 2017, 09:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am taking Humira and wondered if anybody else has had any problems with their teeth/gums? I have recently been troubled with sore and bleeding gums which is not something that I have experienced in the past. I have a dental appointment tomorrow and I am also worried as I am sure that I have read somewhere about possibly having to temporarily come off Humira if you have invasive procedures.... What are considered to be invasive? Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I don't think humira or other DMARDS / biologics actually cause bleeding gums but I think they might well make healing more difficult if you have them.

Whether or not to stop meds is an individual thing. Several years ago I had to come off methotrexate for weeks before a THR but a few years later the same surgeon told me they now reckoned it didn't make much difference. It didn't make any to me. I was fine.

I know at least one of our members has been told she must have antibiotics even after seeing the hygienist, because of the meds but I've never had antibiotics for dentistry apart from one difficult extraction

Do you use an electric toothbrush? My hands are rubbish with an ordinary one but the electric ones do a great job and really help to prevent dental and gum problems..
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Becky88
    Options
    Thank you for your reply, stickywicket. I think you are right about the healing... maybe that is why they are still causing me problems. I will also try an electric toothbrush. Thank you.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Just wanted to agree with Sticky....an electric toothbrush is a real bonus when your hands are rubbish. From previous experience a salt mouth wash also helps with sore gums (a dentist advised me to use one years ago and I've resorted to them a few times when I've had a problem). Hope you get some good advice from the dentist......dental visits definitely rank as my least favourite medical type experience :oops: .

Deb
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've been using an electric toothbrush for years now, plus regularly using an interdental brush and toothpick. I don't have good teeth (never had) but so far so good in terms of needing less dental work. My gums do occasionally bleed but that may be due to my being somewhat overenthusiastic with brush pressure.

There can be a huge temptation for us auto-immuners to blame every new health setback on the meds but, sometimes, crud happens. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    You should read the information, advice and
    instructions on the humira leaflet and do as it says.
  • Becky88
    Options
    Many thanks for all of your replies.