Elbows and Arms

Options
vbell1982
vbell1982 Member Posts: 10
edited 2. Mar 2017, 07:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,

I just wondered if anyone has any tips for stiffness at the elbows. At the moment I am unable to straighten my arms by my sides, as if the elbow joint has restricted movement. And can't fully straighten my arm out in front of me either. I have an appointment on Thursday to discuss it but wondered if anyone had any helpful tips ahead of that?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I honestly can't remember when my elbows were last straight but I've had RA for many, many years. The best way to keep joints in good nick is to take the DMARDS and exercise them – strengthening and range-of-movement exercises when all is well and just the range-of-movement when things are rough. Good luck :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the forum
    Its quite a few years ago now but I had a steroid injection in mine and it really did help..not that it does with everyone..it has flared up again recently including my shoulder so I am am hoping I can can get another one..I hope you get some relief soon..
    Love
    Barbara
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi vbell1982,
    as others mentioned the best way to keep a joint moving is to do exercise with it. It would certainly be worth discussing this with your GP as he may be able to organise a physiotherapist appointment for you. We do have a great section on the website about exercising here is a link for you https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/exercise-and-arthritis
    let us know how you get on and what works for you as it's always helpful for other people to know what solutions may be out there
    Best Wishes
    Sharon