Toilet Needs

Deborah
Deborah Member Posts: 2
edited 21. Feb 2017, 09:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All
I am wondering if any of you could give me some advice please. I have severe pain in my shoulders and elbows therefore twisting to wipe when on the loo is extremely painful. I've been looking at some of the aids available. Are there any that are particularly recommended by any of you please? Thank you for your thoughts.
Best wishes

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums, Deborah, from the moderation team.

As moderators we are here to help with any problems you may have using the message boards so feel free to send us a message if you need to.

I am sorry to hear of your problems using the toilet, due to pain in your shoulders and elbows. Many people on here share your difficulty and I am sure you’ll get some tips soon.

In the meantime I attach a link to the Arthritis Care independent living section which includes a downloadable leaflet.
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/220-independent-living-and-arthritis hopefully it might help a little.

It might also benefit you to contact your local Occupational therapists. This may be via your Rheumatology team or Social services department depending on where you live. They will be able to give you advice tailored to your own individual needs. Technology has moved on now and there are even toilets which have a bidet and drying facility.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Ellen
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have a similar problem. In normal circumstances I manage OK but, every so often, when things get a bit more difficult, my 'bottom wiper' is retrieved from its cupboard. It's a very simple tool.
    http://tinyurl.com/ha3mdyl

Loo roll is taken over the end triangular bit and it tucks in at the top to firmly anchor it. One then grasps the usefully-looped handle and approaches one's rear from the front :wink: It certainly works for me which is more than can be said for most of my joints :lol:

I regard cleaning and disinfecting it as a necessary pain and an incentive to exercise my arms, hands and shoulders more to regain the movement in them. Also remember that a 'back to front' movement (as opposed to the able-bodied, twisting round, front to back wipe) is not recommended as it's more likely to lead to infections of the urinary tract so, when using these, we have to be extra careful with hygiene.

I use mine very seldom but always take it away with me just in case. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright