Newbie hi...why do I feel so exhausted?

JenniferB27
JenniferB27 Member Posts: 74
edited 26. Feb 2017, 02:56 in Say Hello Archive
Well at the ripe old age of 42 I was diagnosed with early OA in my thumb joint. Now at 45 I have it in both knees and both thumb joints. It seems to be progressing quickly but tests show only early stages so am I to assume there us worse to come? I am in daily pain and totally exhausted. I work full time and have a toddler so that could have something to do with it. I have to say tho I feel emotionally wrecked as u am thinking about my OA every day. I feel like a right pain going to the docs again especially when they say that there's not much they can do. Really? I'm suffering here 😨

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find support, advice, help and light relief here. There are lots of others on here that have OA and I'm sure they will be able to help you.

I am one of the Moderation team, we all have one or more of the arthritis 'hangers on', or look after family members with the same.

Best wishes
    ChrisK
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Jennifer

You poor thing!! You sound to be really suffering :(

Of course it's hard work working and with a young child too most people would be tired. It sounds as though you are more tired than most people would be in your place though.

Well I remember the early days of my arthritis when all I did was worry. I had young kids 5 and 8 when I had back surgery and was a single parent.

My fear that I was going to be a useless Mother, an embarrassment to them at the school gate, have not come true I'm glad to say, but I do understand your fears.

I probably spent months not planning anything 'incase' I let people down. I worried incessantly about the future.

This time did pass. I thought it to be me grieving for the life I had expected and accepting a different one? I do have a different life now. Not a bad one at all! I have adjusted to my limitations, remarried and the kids have turned out unscathed. :)

I don't know whether any of that rings a bell, but what I can say is that this is a great place to have found. People are incredibly supportive and helpful. You don't need to feel alone now.

Love and ((()))

Toni xxx
  • JenniferB27
    Oh thanks Toni. My mam has arthritis and I didn't appreciate how much pain she must be in. She is in the chronic stage now so it must be unbearable. I feel the doctors have just write me off lol. X
  • frogmorton
    My Mum also had it and I didn't have much sympathy either :oops:

The Drs probably haven't written you off, but most of us have found we have had to be quite persistent to get the help we need.

Things that can help:

1. Pain relief there are 2 main types anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen, naproxen etc
    and analgesics like paracetamol, cocodamol right through to morphine and loads in between.

Finding the right combination for you is a trial and error thing for most of us. Some of these are available over the counter some your Dr needs to prescribe.

2. Other kinds of pain relief, non-pharmaceutical:

Wheat bags/hot water bottles, Ice packs, Tens machines.

3. Physio including hydrotherapy.

4. The right kind and amount of exercise for you. Swimming cycling etc

5. Pacing yourself. This means resting and not overdoing it. When little one is watching a kids programme put your feet up for an hour. Probably not cleaning the house top to bottom in one day! too!

Oh and the other thing I found really useful was getting informed - here is a good start of course :) The main A/C site has lots of information.

Distraction is helpful too if you can find something to help. Coming on here and chatting is really useful for that :)

Take care Jennifer

love

Toni xxx
  • JenniferB27
    Ah thanks for that. I will make an appointment with the GP to discuss pain relief. I've put my name down for some clinical trials as my consultant asked me about this last week. You are right about doing thinks to take my mind off it as u feel everyday I'm thinking about my knees or my wrist and worrying about work and. I have a physical job working for the government lol I'm sure you can guess so can't do self defence anymore. I hate the thought of people thinking I'm just playing on my arthritis to get an easy desk job! Will get a heat pack and try to persuade the hubby to buy a hot tub jacuzzi lol 😁
  • frogmorton
    g025.gif

Good idea :)

Let us know how you get on

Love

Toni xx