Options
Suzisu
Suzisu Member Posts: 2
edited 27. Feb 2017, 05:55 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all ! My name is Sue, I'm 54yrs old from the North West.
after giving birth to my 6th child I ended up in hospital for a month on traction to relieve sciatica an MRI showed 3 bulging lumber discs and some wear and tear, I was sent home with a sexy little corset with big Velcro fasteners and steel bars to support my back and strong painkillers, that was 20 yr ago.
Then one of my children was diagnosed with 'Stills Disease' at the age of 6 and suffered with it for 9 yrs, I cannot tell you how awful that period of time was, she was in excruciating pain and was experiencing really nasty side effects from all the toxic medication being pumped into her, but together we got through it ( she was a tough little cookie bless her )
I was then diagnosed with seronegative arthritis about 8yr ago but was able to carry on working and lead a pretty active lifestyle that was until I started having other problems, in August 2016, my right arm started to feel dead and heavy, I saw my rheumy in September and he referred me for an MRI and to the Neuro Dept, in the meantime my symptoms were getting worse, pins and needles, tingling, numbness, burning muscles and spine etc etc and I ended up in hospital for 5 days where I had various tests including CT and lumber puncture, CT was normal, L/P showed slightly raised protein levels MRI of my neck showed moderate spondylic changes on C5/6 and C6/7 with oesteophytes and degenerative disc disease.
I did try to go back to work after leaving hospital but had to hand in my notice as I just couldn't do it.
I hate feeling like this, I've been a single mum for the past 18 yr so always been fiercely independent, I'm still getting all the symptoms and the pain is unbearable at times even though I'm on a cocktail of meds. I feel in limbo, Has anybody else here experienced anything similar and if so does it ease off at some point ?
Apologies for the long intro !
[emoji57]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sue,

Welcome to the forum, it sounds like you have had some worrying new symptoms, which has led to tests but the next step where results are collated, explained and new plans formed to allow you to understand and cope with arthritis plus!

I would suggest ringing the helplines, here at arthritis care for a chat and further advice, they are really great. They are open from 8am - 4pm on weekdays, 0808 800 4050

Here's a link to our general pain management booklet, I know I have done a lot of pain management but when I've needed that bit more I found I'd forgotten about using tens or hot water bottle until I re-read the booklet!

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/assets/000/001/515/ManagingPain_web_original.pdf?1472207221

I hope you get this sorted soon, and that you enjoy your time with us

Take care
    Yvonne
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi there and welcome from me too.

Well, you are a real 'coper', aren't you? You've dealt with a lot so, if you're looking for a bit of help, things must be tough.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you ask if anyone has experienced something similar. There are many on here with inflammatory arthritis of one kind or another and I think many with back problems also get neurological pain. If you post on the Living With Arthritis forum, with a specific header, I'm sure some will turn up to empathise and maybe make suggestions.

I have RA and OA but my back isn't bad at all. I take DMARDS (methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine) but I'm a reluctant 'pain med' swallower so I keep them to a minimum.

For me, the trick is to get a balance between working (housework only), resting and exercising. Have you had physio? Or attended a pain clinic? The Arthritis Care pages on 'Managing Arthritis' might be useful https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis . I hope something will help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright