Hi from France

Options
Speculatrix
Speculatrix Member Posts: 5
edited 1. Mar 2017, 04:51 in Say Hello Archive
I've just discovered this forum. I'm a Brit living in France and am hurtling with an undue lack of caution towards 60 years of age.

I was first diagnosed with osteoarthritis several years ago. That was in my neck, but since then it's appeared in most other joints.

My biggest problem at the moment are my hands - not because the OA is worst there but because I use them so much. I'm a journalist and spend all day at a keyboard. I'm currently experimenting a lot with different keyboard types, and use a Hippus HandShoe mouse. Because of the pain in my neck (which also causes cervical vertigo), I work slightly reclined, with the computer monitor and keyboard on articulated arms.

Lately I've been getting problems with hips and knees, but I find cycling rather good for this. My wife and I ride e-bikes (and blog about it at Bocage Biking).

I guess I'm here to pick up tips and share my own experiences, if they're useful to other people.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums, Speculatrix , from the moderation team.

I am very sorry that your hands are so sore particularly when you are a journalist. There are members on here who use voice activated software to help them type.
    This might be worth a read:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/about-us/blogs/545-taking-the-strain-out-of-computing

As moderators we are here to help with any problems you may have using the message boards so feel free to send us a message if you need to.

Anyway I am very pleased you have discovered the forums. I think you will be able to share your experience with the members and vice versa and very much look forward to seeing you posting on the boards. :)

Best wishes

Ellen
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi there, Speculatrix and welcome from me, too :)

Heading for 60? As we say in my native Yorkshire “You're nobbut a young 'un :wink:

I've had RA since I was 15 and OA joined in later. I can't cycle but my hands, though very wonky, are fine with a standard keyboard. Touch keyboards are another matter entirely.

I hope you'll find us useful, informative and fun. Arthritic life isn't all doom and gloom. We have a thread near the top of the Living With Arthritis forum called 'Topics with suggestion for living a positive life'. You might find some helpful.

Just join in anywhere :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright