"You walk funny."

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
edited 5. Mar 2017, 07:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Not many things get past a 3yr old and Joseph is an observant 3yr old.

I saw the look of alarm on his Mum's face so I quickly said “You're right. I do. It's because my legs don't work properly.”

“Did they never work properly?”

“Yes, they used to.”

“When you were a baby?”

“Yes.” I nearly added “and for a few years after that” but I felt Joseph might then wonder if he might also develop a funny walk so best to let him think he'd already left behind the 'Ministry of Funny Walks'.

Satisfied for the present, Joseph's attention returned to his pancake. His Mum had previously explained that I was P's Mummy so, in Joseph's eyes, even with a funny walk, I could do no wrong.

I love the directness and fearlessness of young children. They don't skirt, anxiously, around difficult topics, they just wade in. And accept straight answers. And then go back to their pancakes :D
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You can always rely on a little person to reduce things to basics! :D 30 years of teaching ages from3 to 6 left me with no illusions and a lot of laughter.....from the little charmer who told me"your hair looks funny" after spending a small fortune at a new hairdressers to the 3 year old who, when his mum told him I was expecting twins asked"are there 2 babies in your tummy, can Ilook" and very promptly stuch his head under my skirt....much to his mums embarrassment! :oops: There are times when I'm sorely tempted to be as honest as a 3 year old, but convention and good manners prevents it :? .
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Many years ago when we were in a shop. Just myself and the 2 children. It was the Punk era. We got into a lift, 2 lads got in after us both with coloured hair.......a few different colours.
    Sarah.....must have been about 4 at the time {she's 36 now} said "Oh mam look
    Two Muppets" :oops: :oops:
    Talk about wanting the ground to open up and swallow you :roll: We were in lift!!!!! No escape from that!!!!!!

Don't you just love them :lol:

Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I love it SW...I have a friend with JLA..he is around 10 now..but a few years ago when we first met he had a walking frame..and saw me on crutches..so he took it upon himself to show me how I should walk and not stick my bum out.. :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Thank you all for the smiles.

Dibdab - I always wear trousers. Now I have another reason to do so :lol:

Hileena - I can't imagine a worse place to be than a lift in such circumstances :shock:

Barbara - I remember your young, inspirational friend. The trouble is some bums are more easily pulled in than others, don't you agree :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • MissKat
    MissKat Member Posts: 124
    Options
    Well this thread made me smile [emoji5]

My son is two and although doesn't say much, uses the phrases "oh no" & "oh dear" a lot!

You're right though, nothing gets past the kiddos and I do love their honesty. He once pointed to a rather unsightly spot on my face and said "oh no"! [emoji15]

But rather sweetly, he currently points to my swollen knees and says "oh no... oh dear" in a very caring way, so at least I feel that I'm getting some sympathy from him [emoji5]

Thank you all for the smiles.

Dibdab - I always wear trousers. Now I have another reason to do so :lol:

Hileena - I can't imagine a worse place to be than a lift in such circumstances :shock:

Barbara - I remember your young, inspirational friend. The trouble is some bums are more easily pulled in than others, don't you agree :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Give a child a straight answer and they will drop the subject. Fluff, prevaricate and avoid and they will seize the moment and worry away at your embarrassment like a dog with a bone: don't give 'em the satisfaction! I am often on the receiving end of curious glances from little ones and, if a comment is made, I too explain that my legs don't work and never have (for the same reason as you, Sticky). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben