Tiredness

Juliew
Juliew Member Posts: 58
edited 5. Mar 2017, 07:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have osteoarthritis on my hip, I was diagnosed with it 6/7 years ago the last week or so I've been feeling quite tired even though I sleep well at night, I work full time and my job is quite active, couple of times this week I have my hour lunch break and I fall asleep. Is Tiredness to do with the arthritis?
I said in a previous post that I'm in pain daily although it's not severe and I'm taking naproxen, I haven't had any naproxen for a week thought I'd give myself a break from them, the pain has increased a bit, I'm seriously thinking that the only way of being free from this pain is a hip replacement

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Comments

• pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I imagine that with a busy job and fighting arthritis your body says that it has had enough and needs some rest to recharge your batteries.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm sorry you're so tired. Tiredness can definitely result from arthritis but also from other things too and it can be very difficult to work out exactly what is causing it. It's easy to blame arthritis for all our other ills.

I know you said you have been very successful in losing weight but also need to lose more. Extra weight can cause tiredness and so can diet if we are not eating healthily.

Lack of sufficient Vitamin D is also a common cause of tiredness in UK http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Vitamin-D.aspx. Maybe you could ask your GP to run a blood test for it.

If you're feeling a bit down (and which of us on here doesn't from time to time?) that, too, can cause tiredness.

Also, if you've not been taking the naproxen maybe the tiredness is a result of that.

A new hip might help in many ways but they are not easily obtained and I don't think it would be helpful to rely on getting one quickly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Julie
    Like you I have OA in my hips and a few other places..I cant take the antiinflams because of kidneys probs..I to feel so tired and have done since I was diagnosed, I use to think it was the pain meds but on good day when I dont take them , I am the same, so it does seem to be part of OA..
    I have had both hips replaced and so glad I did..sadly my back is in a bad way ,but at least I dont have all the hip pain on top of it..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Juliew
    Juliew Member Posts: 58
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hello Julie
    Like you I have OA in my hips and a few other places..I cant take the antiinflams because of kidneys probs..I to feel so tired and have done since I was diagnosed, I use to think it was the pain meds but on good day when I dont take them , I am the same, so it does seem to be part of OA..
    I have had both hips replaced and so glad I did..sadly my back is in a bad way ,but at least I dont have all the hip pain on top of it..x
    Hi Barbara, sorry to hear about your kidney problems and your back. The Tiredness has only really hit the last couple of weeks which I thought would have been that way from the start. How long was you on the waiting list for, for your hip replacement? Did you ask for it or was it your doctors idea?

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It's very tempting to blame anything that happens to us after diagnosis on the arthritis but, unfair though it is, other dross still rocks up to have a go.

There are many reasons for tiredness - ongoing pain, working, poor quality sleep, low iron, low Vitamin D, poor diet, ageing, the weather, even inefficient breathing meaning we don't take in enough oxygen with each breath. I am tired all the time but at least I know why: breakthrough pain at night disturbs my sleep (I could take pills for that but I am medicated enough with the meds for my psoriatic arthritis etc.) and the effort required to do even the basics in life thanks to forty arthritic joints is draining. Thanks to regular blood tests (which I have to have thanks to the PsA) that enables the docs to keep an eye on my iron levels and I take two Vitamin D tablets with calcium daily. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben