Steroid/anaesthetic injection in neck

angela
angela Member Posts: 3
edited 9. Mar 2017, 08:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello I have cervical spondylitis in my neck and arthritis, I'm due to have an injection in my neck consisting of steroids and a long lasting anaesthetic and have to stay in hospital for half a day, I'm terrified and was wondering if anyone has had this injection, and if anyone knows the risks with it being in the neck, also how painful is it, thanks in advance

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Angela from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Moderator John
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Angela and welcome from me too.

It's odd, isn't it, how we fear for some areas of the body more than others? I've had many steroid injections into knees and shoulders (and general ones into the bottom :wink: ) but I, too, would be anxious about one in the neck despite the fact that I have very little movement there.

The rational side of me says it won't be dangerous or else they wouldn't offer it but the emotional side of me is screaming Aaaaargh :lol:

If anaesthetic is involved it shouldn't be painful and I like the fact that they are monitoring you afterwards. I hope all goes well and your pain is much reduced. Please let us know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • angela
    angela Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your reply, I should have asked at my appointment when they suggested it, but as always my brain went to mush lol, will let you know how I get on
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think most of us suffer from Mushy Brain Syndrome :wink: when trying to take in too much medical info. That's one reason why I usually take someone with me as a second pair of ears. (I tell Mr SW that it's just his ears that are required not his mouth :lol: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I am not surprised that you are apprehensive, that is entirely natural. When will this be taking place? I have a very short memory so if you need further support nearer the day please post again. It sounds as though you are not used to being in hospital so that must make it more worrying.

I am fortunate in that my neck is not currently affected but I have had all kinds of injections in places which weren't naturally designed for them. In my case the majority were not effective but for other people they have worked very well: steroids can give relief for between three to six months but they wear off and are not a long-term treatment as they bring their own troubles.

Pain is a subjective thing: one man's minor ache is another's major agony. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben