OA and swelling

JenniferB27
JenniferB27 Member Posts: 74
edited 9. Mar 2017, 11:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I am just wondering if anyone out there has OA in their thumb joints and if so do you get swelling. I get really bad swelling in all my wrist. It puffs up like a pudding and my hand goes into spasm. Have had RA tests which were negative. My arthritis is early stages and I'm scared of what's to come if this is the way it's hurting at the moment. I'm also feeling exhausted. I have it in both knees too and possibly my shoulder. Currently have a trapped nerve in my neck....I give up lol 🙈❤❤

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi JenniferB27,
    oh dear that does sound like a lot to deal with at the moment it is no surprise you feel it is all too much. It is difficult to predict the future and we would recomend not worrying about that for now but just focus on looking after yourself presently. We do have a fact sheet about wrist and hand osteoarthritis that you may find useful https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/671-osteoarthritis-of-the-hand-and-wrist
    It sounds like you might be having a flare up at the moment and this will add to your feelings of exhausted. It is very common to feel fatigue and it is something that is not often talked about. Our fact sheet on fatigue is very useful, it was developed with the help of our community members here https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/fatigue
    It sounds like you need to get hold of your GP or rheumatology team and explain to them how badly things are affecting you at present and maybe get some additional pain relief at this time to help you through.
    I am sure the members here will share their experience and support with you. Keep us up to date with how you are getting on and ask as many questions as you like, that is what we are here for
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    No, don't give up. It's always a bad move to let the arthritis think it's won.

Unfortunately, joints can and do swell with OA. The tests that a GP does aren't always conclusive proof though rheumatologists usually get things right.

I have both RA and OA. The OA resulted from my not getting treatment early enough for the RA. They are very different beasts. With an RA flare it's hard to function at all and the affected joints give off a fair bit of heat. Morning stiffness is the norm.

With OA it's a case of getting through the pain. Concessions have to be made though. All sorts of things can help – physio, pain relief, pacing oneself, wheat bags / ice packs to mention a few. It's unlikely to go away though so, although all this seems like a lot of unnecessary effort, some of it has to be done.

What's happening re your neck? Have you been given exercises? They can clear nerve pain but necks are tricky things so only do them according to what the physio advises. A good, supportive pillow and mattress are also essential.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • JenniferB27
    JenniferB27 Member Posts: 74
    Thank you for the replies! I have heard of flare ups but not really sure if they related to OA. I just can't believe this is the pain of arthritis! It's awful I'm 45 so I'm sure I have a lot more to come. I'm waiting for physio for my neck. The pain travels to my shoulder and down my left arm. I had an x ray on my shoulder but Dr said there was no signs of arthritis. I don't particularly trust the doctors tho as they said my hand was fine when they looked at my hand x ray but as soon as my rheumatology Dr saw it he said straight away it was OA. The exact same thing happened with my knees so I'm sure it's in my shoulder too x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    At a guess I'd say rheumatologists are better at reading x-rays than most GPs because they probably see more.

Hand pain can be relieved, to some extent, by judicious use of splints (If nothing else they virtually prevent you using the hands :roll: ) and knee supports can help, too, but if the muscles are allowed an easy ride they stop working and that causes more pain.

Sometimes, though, pain in one joint arises from the fact that we're using that joint badly in an effort to 'spare' an even more painful joint elsewhere. It's not good but, with OA, self-help is the key to coping. Have a look at the 'Managing Arthritis' section above.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright