Saying hello

Options
ianwas
ianwas Member Posts: 4
edited 13. Mar 2017, 18:57 in Say Hello Archive
Hello, I'm a 58 year old man that has had the tell tale swollen and stiffening finger joints for many years. In recent weeks one finger has became swollen with constant pain that wakes me up, virtually too painfull to clench or grip which is really affecting my ability to grip or carry many objects. I'm waiting to see my GP next week and expect to be diagnosed with arhritis of one type or another. I'm surprised that just this one suddenly 'worse' finger has had such an effect on my daily life, as my job alone is dependant on me using hand tools, lifting, carrying etc. I can only imagine the pain and suffering that many people with arthritis far worse endure. Ian.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Ian,

It is astonishing what difficulties a 'small' difficulty can bring - and fingers are especially bad, I guess they affect most of what we do, both in work and out!

Well done for making the appointment to see your GP. First job done. Next, while you are waiting for that you might want pain relief, usual over the counter meds are good. It might be worth taking them regularly for a couple of days rather than waiting for the pain to become severe. Gels can also be good but check what pain relief they contain so you don't exceed the max dose.

Heat - or cold are good for achy joints, keeping your hand resting higher than your heart when you are able to can help reduce swelling

Gentle massage can also be useful, as can rest - be guided by how your hand feels

Think about your symptoms and what helps/worsens your finger so you can tell your dr and think about what you might want to ask them too.

Come back and tell us how you get on, and do explore the forum and join in wherever you feel comfortable.

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • ianwas
    Options
    Hello Yvonne,

Thank you for your interest and advice, all of which is much appreciated. Once I've seen my GP, hopefully I'll have a better idea of what may be going on with my fingers. I'll post an update too. Thanks again.

Ian.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hello Ian and welcome from me too.

I can't really add to what Yvonne has written but I just wanted to add another 'welcoming voice'.

I wonder if one finger is particularly bad because, consciously or unconsciously, you use that one more or maybe use one joint of it more in your work.

I hope you can find out a bit more but, in the meantime, pharmacists can be very good sources of information on pain relief. I've always found them really helpful for all sorts of things.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ianwas
    Options
    Hi stickywicket,

Thanks for your greeting and tip about pharmacists, much appreciated. The finger in question is my right middle and as I'm right handed this has began to really affect my grip. I've noticed that said finger and its joints are pretty swollen and coincidently my right thumb has become painful and stiff. For what it's worth I'm also type 2 diabetic.

Cheers,

Ian.