Hello everyone. I am looking fir a little advice please.

Chris13
Chris13 Member Posts: 3
edited 16. Mar 2017, 08:56 in Say Hello Archive
Hi how is everyone today? Let me introduce myself, my name is chris and im 37. After about 6 months of going to my GP with foot, hand (i was diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel 5 years ago but the pain had altered) and joint pain i finally got refered to CROPS clinic. My gp said she only refered me as i have a family history of arthritis but you font have it! On Friday i got some results saying I have inflammatory arthritis which she told me is a good thing as they can treat it but could not diagnose what type it is until i go yo see the rheumatologist which the earliest appointment is 2 months away. I was told to take over the counter pain relief but that does not tend to touch it. I am just unsure of the best way to deal with this and the best place to find out more info as I dobt want to rely on Dr Google lol

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi there, Chris. I'm sorry about the diagnosis but well done you for steering clear of Dr Google. He's rarely reliable.

It's true that there can be a genetic factor with inflammatory arthritis. Sometimes it can take ages for a proper diagnosis but the medications is broadly the same for all types so that's not a problem.

Two months sounds about right for a rheumatology appointment though it will seem a long time if you're in a lot of pain. Your GP can prescribe stronger pain relief. He can also prescribe anti-inflammatories which might help more though some rheumatologists prefer patients not to take them before a first appointment as, when they work, they mask the problem. I guess it boils down to what level of pain you feel you can cope with. Good luck with it all.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, at least your GP is on the ball and referred you bright and early. There are around 300 kinds of auto-immune inflammatory conditions so it can take time to narrow things down to a precise diagnosis but the meds remain the same throughout. They can only be prescribed by a rheumatologist as they are the ones who deal with auto-immune arthritis, GPs deal with osteo arthritis.

While you wait for your appointment to come through your GP may be able to help with prescribed pain relief, the stuff that one can buy OTC (over the counter) is generally very mild and may not have the welly we require. Any pain relief will only dull the sharper edges rather than removing it all (and they never remove it for good). I began with 8/500 cocodamol, then progressed to 14/500 and now 30/500 but I am fortunate in that I don't have any trouble with codeine.

I manage my conditions as best I can (I have an auto-immune kind which led to osteo), I had to make many changes to what I do and how I do it and resting a little and often is essential. I am lucky in that I was able to give up work but I battled on for 17 years. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Chris13
    Chris13 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you that helps a lot.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    You're more than welcome. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben