Holiday and travel insurance post joint replacement

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 18. Mar 2017, 19:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Evening, hope you're all as well as can be. I'd hoped to get away before my TMJ replacement operation but it's not looking likely in terms of time scales and work. So, I'm planning a winter sun break in November. I can't get insured while I'm awaiting the op but I don't need to book yet anyway. I've heard that travel insurance after joint replacement (especially as I'm having 2 joints done) is more expensive but bizarrely, it's the same. Has this been anyone else's experience? Obviously I'm not complaining, just curious!

Comments

• Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I seem to remember that after I had both knees replaced premiums went up, but not by very much. But after two years I didn't even need to mention them! It probably depends on the company, but basically they seem quite happy if you've had a successful operation.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    after 2 THR my premiums didnt go up that much ..but once I went on the pain patches for my back and was offered an op they flew up...and find that many wouldn't insure me..so hopefully you will be fine and its good to have something to look forward to..
    Love
    Barbara
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi
    I have been doing lots of comparisons for my holiday and because I have 2 THR`s and have had 2 dislocations , it is usually very expensive for me, and that was before my spinal fusion surgery. Anyway I have managed to get a really good quote from Get Going (sorry if this isn`t allowed, but I am not advertising, only trying to help a fellow Arthur sufferer) through a comparison website. The lowest I was quoted was £25, but I went for the one up from that as it covered the total holiday cost for 2 of us, in the event of us needing to cancel, so it was £34. That is massively lower than any other I looked at which were well over £100 just for me, and this one is for both of us, although Mr NB has no medical issues so is not a risk for them.
    I hope you can find a reasonable quote for your holiday x
    NB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'd already had two TKRs before I did much flying. I don't think they put the price up much. Age does, though :roll: Don't get old, Sophie :wink: And try to keep your medication down to no more than two per condition.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Sticky is right. I hardly noticed my insurance going up when I had my TKRs, but it shot up when I got to 65! I agree; if you want to travel, don't get old. :-(
  • Starburst
    Sorry I didn't realise I did come back to say thank you. I shall endeavour to do all my travelling before I get too old. :D
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Starburst wrote:
    Evening, hope you're all as well as can be. I'd hoped to get away before my TMJ replacement operation but it's not looking likely in terms of time scales and work. So, I'm planning a winter sun break in November. I can't get insured while I'm awaiting the op but I don't need to book yet anyway. I've heard that travel insurance after joint replacement (especially as I'm having 2 joints done) is more expensive but bizarrely, it's the same. Has this been anyone else's experience? Obviously I'm not complaining, just curious!

My Lucy, (who has had a new shoulder and hip surgery, epilepsy (3 drugs), avascular necrosis and is in remission from cancer), is only insurable with about 2 companies!! Last year it was £400and something. This year £282 so coming down. They ask about any dislocations of joint replacements if that helps.

The one which is cheapest for us is called All clear. I remember it because ALL is the type of leukaemia she had :)

I am certain yours will be cheaper

Love

Toni xxx
    Love

Toni xxx
  • Starburst
    frogmorton wrote:
    My Lucy, (who has had a new shoulder and hip surgery, epilepsy (3 drugs), avascular necrosis and is in remission from cancer), is only insurable with about 2 companies!! Last year it was £400and something. This year £282 so coming down. They ask about any dislocations of joint replacements if that helps.

The one which is cheapest for us is called All clear. I remember it because ALL is the type of leukaemia she had :)

I am certain yours will be cheaper

Love

Toni xxx
    Love

Toni xxx

Hi Toni

Thanks for the reply.

That's very strange as I was just thinking of you today and wondering if Lucy had the shoulder replacement. How is she doing?

Sophie. Xx