Newly diagnosed and introducing myself

Steffie49
Steffie49 Member Posts: 3
edited 21. Mar 2017, 16:34 in Say Hello Archive
I have only just been diagnosed as having the first signs of Osteoarthritis. My doctor sent me for an x-ray and a blood test, so I am pleased I reported my knee pain to him.
I have received a sheet of exercises and other bits of advice.
I am hoping this Forum will have lots of hints on it about what best to do and what not to do as I obviously want to try my best at not making matters worse.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Steffie49,

Welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place!

To get you started here's a link to one of our threads where we collected hints and tips.

http://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18372

The exercises are important, they keep your joint strong and in the right place, do them with both legs as your 'good' knee will eventually have to take on extra work if your OA worsens.

Do join in wherever you feel comfortable, if you wish you can make new friends here and join our 'family'.

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. OA is the most common form of arthritis, I have it too so can empathise.

Exercise is important because it helps to keep the range of movement in the affected joint and its supporting muscles strong and flexible. Non-weight bearing is the most beneficial so swimming and cycling are very good, walking is good for the whole body but supportive footwear is essential.

I hope you find the forum to be of interest - sadly we know our stuff :|:wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Steffie49
    Steffie49 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your welcome. Its good to know there is somewhere I can go with questions! Thanks also for the tip about exercising both legs - I am trying to get into the habit of doing them.
    Stephanie
    :D