cramp

Wobbly
Wobbly Member Posts: 58
edited 24. Mar 2017, 08:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey
Any one getting cramp in their legs especially at night its driving me mad i was up 3 times with it last night. 2 times when it was just warning me it was coming n the 3rd was rather unpleasant. And the ache from it stays with me for maybe 8 to 24 hours on the odd occasion have felt it for days.

I have osteo hips neck & spine 😞😞😞

Thanks
Wobbly xx

Comments

• Wobbly
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Ooops didn't realise my sad faces would be so big xx
  • Wobbly
    Ooops didn't realise my sad faces would be so big xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Cramp was a regular feature of my nights, I think it was due to my no longer moving naturally in my sleep. I increased my water intake, regularly munch on raw veg (which I love), eat seedy yoghurt (my own creation, natural yoghurt with added pumpkin and sunflower seeds, pine nuts, pistachio pieces, flaked almonds and blueberries) and things greatly improved.

I think cramp is caused by a lack of magnesium / potassium (I can't recall which) and bananas are often recommended as an aid but I loath them. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Wobbly
    Thank you DD I'm not a water drinker but i do drink alot of dilute squash i love yogurt and am not objecting to bananas I'll give it a go. I did try to drink tonic water but the taste is rank.
    Thank you again
    Wobbly x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Squash is acidic and, for me, not good for the joints. Fruit, vinegar and pickles make my OA worse so I know I am taking a risk when I indulge. Oddly, when I have a sore throat and have to stop the immuno-suppressants for my auto-immune arthritis, my body screams for fresh oranges and the joints ignore their acidic presence. I know I'm on the mend when the longing decreases and the pain increases. You can't flaming win at this game.

Yes, tonic has quinine which is supposedly good for remedying cramp, I like the taste of it but don't get on well with the carbonation. Fever Tree make a lovely range of flavoured tonic waters, the elderflower is a particular favourite of mine. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben