Recently diagnosed OA neck and shoulder

Iris
Iris Member Posts: 5
edited 25. Mar 2017, 07:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,
I have been diagnosed with early signs of OA in neck, shoulder and spine. I am to receive physiotherapy and have been given a cream to rub on affected parts of my body. My neck has been aching for about 7 months and I sometimes feel giddy and headachy. I also get tired during the day time but have trouble getting off to sleep. I am wondering if anyone has the same as me and are able to advise whether these symptoms will pass in due course. The rheumatologist doesn't want to see me again so I am hoping that it has been found early enough for me to start planning an anti inflammatory diet. Thank you all for listening, it's good to find a site like this where our problems and advice can be shared. Look forward to chatting, oh and I am 62 x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi

Welcome to the forum, I am sure that you will find support, help, advice and light relief here. There are some people on here with OA and will be able to offer you support and advice.

I am one of the moderation team, we all have one or more of the arthritis 'hanger ons' or look after family members with the same. Here is a link to our fact sheet on neck osteoarthritis that you might find useful https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/448-osteoarthritis-of-the-neck

Best wishes

ChrisK
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Iris and welcome to the forum :) We all live with pain so can understand how you are feeling and it's good that you're keen to take control of your arthritis.

If the rheumatologist doesn't need to see you again it sounds as if you were referred to ensure you don't have an inflammatory form of arthritis. Rheumatologists deal with the latter but GPs deal with osteo (OA).

I have both kinds. My neck doesn't move much these days but my spine isn't bad at all. I can't relate to the giddyness and headaches. Maybe that's not arthritis-related. We are inclined to blame it for all our ills :roll: As for the fatigue – that's very common when we're fighting daily to get our bodies to do what's required of them. Do you take any pain relief? They can make us very sleepy and then, of course, if we sleep during the day, it's not easy to nod off at night. One reason why I keep mine to a bare minimum.

You might find it helpful to read Arthritis Care's section on healthy eating https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/healthy-eating-and-arthritis and also the more general section of living with arthritis https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis . We are always here, too. Please join in anywhere. Living With Arthritis and Chit Chat are the most frequented forums :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I have OA in some useful places including my left shoulder (as a result of breaking my upper left humerus in January 2014) and I suspect that, as Sticky says, the rheumatologist you saw may well not see you again as they do not deal with OA. My rheumatologist 'ignores' my OA and my GP 'ignores' my psoriatic arthritis; I ignore them to my detriment. :wink:

My OA is dealt with by pain relief, maybe an anti-inflammatory or two for a few days, the application of topical pain relief, rest and not overdoing things. I still do the various exercises given to me by physios over the years to help keep my muscles as strong as possible to better support my joints and, although I have it in one shoulder I am very lucky that my neck and spine remain unaffected. If I need to take the anti-inflam tablets then I do not use the topical version as they duplicate each other and not in a good way. Mine tends to make it presence felt in unsettled, low-pressure weather so today is a doozy. :) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Iris
    Iris Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone,
    Thank you for your replies. My rheumatologist has just advised me to take paracetamol for pain. I take 10ml citalopram for anxiety also. She did tell me that my neck muscles were tense and that this would cause the muzzy head and headaches I am getting. I am very anxious and the anxiety has built up over months of wondering what was wrong with me. I waited four months before I could see a rheumatologist. She put my mind at ease, I was quite relieved that my problem was not rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis or fibromyalgia as she said these were more complicated to manage. I can see that there is a lot to be learned on this site and I thank you all for your input and your kind thoughts. I am very sorry that you are suffering from OA too, obviously worse than me because as mentioned, I have early signs of it and it is early days yet. With physio, I am going to try to manage this myself. I do not see any point in visiting my GP, unless of course there are any drastic changes. I look forward to future posts.
    Regards
    Iris
  • Wobbly
    Wobbly Member Posts: 58
    Hi
    I just wondered if you have tried or considered acupuncture I have oa in hips neck and most of spine and angling to see if can have a go of acupuncture on NHS and if it works I will gladly pay for the rest if it works

Wobbly xx
  • Stravinsky
    Stravinsky Member Posts: 8
    Hi there

Only just joined, but I too have OA in my lower neck. Headaches I get have been generally attributed to it. I have to take prescription CoCodamol to deal with that. Often worse in wet or damp weather, dont know if that makes any sense.

Ive been told to do regular neck exercises to strengthen muscles to support the bones

Also have it in my fingers and have asked to be referred to a hand therapist but apparently it can be a long time getting to one as you have to go to a consultant first.
  • Sue
    Sue Member Posts: 40
    So sorry you have this!
    I too had headaches for the last couple of years. I didn't know until a week ago just why...my neck is quite bad. I am new to the news that I have severe osteoarthritis and am struggling to come to terms with it. I am seeking help and advice where I can. Hence this forum and this post.
    From what I can gather...exercise appears to be the best thing. Both for loosing up and lessening the pain. My physiotherapist has given me some to do but you can find them on the internet also.
    Do be careful not to bend your neck backwards,more than during normal day to day life. Don't stargaze!
    I am currently researching pillows because sleeping with a bad neck is awful and I am told this would help.

Let's hope we both find answers, help and advice here on this forum.

I too am new to this but have found very helpful people so far.

Keep in touch,via this forum.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I have a shaped pillow which is great as it supports the neck. Physio to advise on posture and exercise is also important and should help. Supportive high backed chairs also help.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Stravinsky
    Thanks Sue & Slosh

Yes, I thought a scuplted pillow would be best, but it seems that I do better with a hotel pillow - the mak in the last hotel where I had no headache in the morning was Neumanna Profi95, but I dont think I'll find them in the Uk as they were manufactured in Czeck Republic
  • stremlett
    stremlett Member Posts: 37
    Stravinsky wrote:
    Thanks Sue & Slosh

Yes, I thought a scuplted pillow would be best, but it seems that I do better with a hotel pillow - the mak in the last hotel where I had no headache in the morning was Neumanna Profi95, but I dont think I'll find them in the Uk as they were manufactured in Czeck Republic

Oh thank you,
    Haha, you made me laugh!! About twenty years ago, in a Paris hotel I found the perfect pillow. After a few blissful nights I went down to reception clutching my pillow and asked to buy it. This was an entertaining conversation full of misunderstandings but in the end it was clear they would not sell it and confirmed that the British are eccentric: I've been looking for a pillow that good ever since. The best one so far is a shaped Ikea memory foam which cost about £20 :-)

Taking a moment to send you all +ve vibes, Sue
  • Sue
    Sue Member Posts: 40
    Brilliant! Thanks for making me chuckle.

So, the hunt goes on for the perfect pillow......
  • JenniferB27
    JenniferB27 Member Posts: 74
    Ah this is so interesting as I too have started having problems with my neck. I have OA in my knees and thumbs. Physio says I have cervical spondylosis. Have been in pain for a month now and painkillers not helping not even codeine. I had acupuncture yesterday and is yet to have any effect. I can't cope with this pain and work is very difficult. I am a police officer so I'm not in the best position. I just wanna lie on the floor as this gives relief. I'm not sure what cervical spondylosis is to be honest and just hope it isn't arthritis. I currently have a trapped nerve in my neck which physio says is as a result of this condition. Wondering if doc will refer me for xray or mri x
  • Stravinsky
    Ah this is so interesting as I too have started having problems with my neck. I have OA in my knees and thumbs. Physio says I have cervical spondylosis. Have been in pain for a month now and painkillers not helping not even codeine. I had acupuncture yesterday and is yet to have any effect. I can't cope with this pain and work is very difficult. I am a police officer so I'm not in the best position. I just wanna lie on the floor as this gives relief. I'm not sure what cervical spondylosis is to be honest and just hope it isn't arthritis. I currently have a trapped nerve in my neck which physio says is as a result of this condition. Wondering if doc will refer me for xray or mri x

I think it's a small bone growth sticking out slightly, therefore reducing the size of the gap for nerves and muscle. I was told many years ago that I had it, which I assume is part of the arthritis I have now