Introduction

Waterbeetle
Waterbeetle Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Mar 2017, 10:29 in Say Hello Archive
Hello. This is my first post. I have had osteoarthritis for many years. I have had both knees replaced. I also have had fibromyalgia since the mid 1990s. About 3 years ago I was diagnosed with degenerative spine disease. I am about to have epidural injections in my back for the third time. I am also considering a wheelchair for outings because I cannot walk any distance. I'd like to hear from others who have similar complaints and how they handled their transition from walking in pain to using a wheelchair. I just can't believe it's come to this. Feeling a bit low.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Waterbeetle from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Moderator John
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, what a lovely user name, I like it! I have PsA, OA, fibro and no new joints (as yet). I am reliant on either crutches (and have been since 2002 after my first open synovectomy) and I have used a rollator for getting about outdoors since around 2010. I have a lightweight wheelchair for holidays so I can go further and do more and recently invested in a scooter so I can enjoy going round our beautiful local park, rather than exhausting myself getting there and then just wanting to come home to gulp down the pain relief. The nonsense began in 1997 when I was 37, I am now 58.

It's a shame I need these things but this is my life and, health-wise, it's never been good. I take the view that I am helping myself in 'cosseting' my already very damaged joints by easing as much of the strain on them that I can. Yes, they will continue to further deteriorate but that is the nature of the disease - that cannot be altered but I'm sure I've slowed that degeneration by using the aids. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben