Calf pain after tkr

Sars4185
Sars4185 Member Posts: 34
edited 12. Apr 2017, 02:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
I wonder if anyone could help .I had tkr 1 wk ago but past few days I have had terrible calf pain on my operated leg . I went back into hospital yesterday to see if it was dvt which came back clear. The doctor says it's just muscle fibres inflamed after the operation. To ice and continue with the exercises which I have been doing. However I can't put any weight on the operated leg it's just too painful. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same thing happen to them? I am seeing physio on Thursday so if it hasn't improved may ask to see the consultant again.
Thanks Sara

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It's good news that you don't have a DVT but, I guess, a bit of a mystery what you do have. I've had 3 TKRs over the years but not experienced this. Maybe you either overdid or underdid the exercises. I hope the physio can shed some light on it. Good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    I've had a bilateral TKR, but like Sticky I have no experience of this. But I do know that I got a lot of pains in strange places afterwards, and my money would be on muscle inflammation as the doctor said. But it does sound as though you need to insist that it gets sorted out. Good luck!
  • Mystic07
    Mystic07 Member Posts: 19
    Sars4185 wrote:
    I wonder if anyone could help .I had tkr 1 wk ago but past few days I have had terrible calf pain on my operated leg . I went back into hospital yesterday to see if it was dvt which came back clear. The doctor says it's just muscle fibres inflamed after the operation. To ice and continue with the exercises which I have been doing. However I can't put any weight on the operated leg it's just too painful. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same thing happen to them? I am seeing physio on Thursday so if it hasn't improved may ask to see the consultant again.
    Thanks Sara

Hi Sara,

I too had this and was also told that it was inflamed muscle fibres. I continued to ice and now on week 3 the pain has dulled to a mild ache. I'm still a bit unsteady when I try to put weight on it but it is getting better. It may only bring temporary relief but try a muscle rub on your calf. Hope things improve for you. Take care.

Cath x