D-Day in the DD Household.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 30. Apr 2017, 13:25 in Community Chit-chat archive
D-Day as in new dishwasher day. Yup, I finally took the plunge on Tuesday and it is arriving this morning. We had friends to dinner on Saturday, one of whom used to own an independent chain of electrical shops started by his father (so knows his onions about white goods). I chatted stuff over with him on Sunday morning as he examined my damaged washing machine ( I timed his invite well, didn't I? :wink: ) and he gave me good advice. He is doing the work today, I've prepared the kitchen as much as I can and the kettle is boiled.

The machine uses a maximum of 11 litres, fits 14 place settings and has a cutlery tray - hurrah! I measured the washing up water this morning as I cleared the breakfast stuff - six litres at least plus a little extra for rinsing. Multiply that by three (or, in the case of Saturday where we were preparing to entertain, seven) and that's some water consumption so hopefully a saving on the water bill will be made (it should reduce the load on the combi-boiler too). It has a half-load setting (handy as we are just the two) and many useful features. I was swearing at the basic Hotpoint on Saturday as I wrestled with the cutlery basket and washed pans and glasses by hand as they couldn't fit.

A new world of domestic bliss beckons. How sad am I? (Answers on a postcard please to Arthritis Mansions). DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    And the verdict is???

(We all have our areas of 'sadness'. When we first came over here I started 'collecting' car number plates from different states. I did give it up after a year or so but did find myself getting excited the other day about Alaska :oops:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Oh that's not at all sad DD :D

Little things help a lot and the dishwasher will no doubt be quieter and more energy efficient and the lower water consumption is a real bonus these days.

My you and she be happy together for many years to come :)

Stickywicket!!! Collecting is very addictive, not really sad at all unless you fill your house with clutter and someone puts you forward for that hoarding programme on telly :lol:

Love

Toni xxx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,900
    Hello DD
    I hope you and your new dishwasher get on well together.
    will it be a collector item
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    You enjoy it DD its something I have never had...OH is my dishwasher at the min...because he is an heating engineer his hands are really bad so he likes to sock them in the hot water... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    What a revelation. The old one was very basic and, as we discovered, so badly installed we are fortunate there hasn't been a domestic disaster. The machine was resting on two teetering piles of small wooden blocks (no-one had bothered with its feet) and was not properly plumbed in. The new one is resting on its properly-adjusted feet and is properly plumbed. The only hitch was attaching the integrated door but after some maths and a bit of kickboard sawing all was eventually well.

What can I say? I think the word superb covers all bases :wink: . It is very quiet so the red light shining on the floor when it's on is a boon. At the end of the eco cycle it beeps once and then the door opens a little to let out the steam.

Barbara, I'd never had one until we moved to No.10 but it soon proved to be useful when we had friends round for a meal. It also earned its corn at Christmas. I've embraced the technology more readily than The Spouse (who is a creature of habit) but as he only washes up at the weekends I guess that wasn't surprising!

We've been in the house for just over three years and made many changes to make it work for us (and to preserve the fabric of the building). This is the final thing for the kitchen, the last major job is the painting of the outside. We're dithering between cream and Suffolk Pink . . . it may come down to the toss of a coin. DD
  • frogmorton
    Wahay!!

Sounds fabulous DD :) I bet you can't stop finding things to 'wash' again :lol:

As for the house colour if I had had the chance, (had a rendered house), when I was in Suffolk it would have been Suffolk pink every time :D

Love

Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Yup, ours is rendered too so it won't be an easy job to paint. A pale daffodil yellow has now been thrown into the mix but, as the house has some interesting history behind it, I am erring towards the traditional.

It is very tempting to load Boscher (yes, it's been named) with stuff just to admire the red light :D but I know better. I may occupy myself with some baking this afternoon whilst he's at the footy, and I have eight new mugs that need a clean, plus some baking trays . . . . . I never knew washing up could be such fun. :wink: DD
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I'm pleased this is making life easier for you DD. I have a dishwasher (8 place setting version) but only now use it once a week after I've attempted my batch cooking session. It's not worth running it just for me.

John and I used to load it throughout the day and then run it on the economy - 35 minute - wash once a day. So much easier and it used less water than us washing-up 3 times a day. Now I save my washing-up to the evening and do it in one go.

I have to say though that if I had to forego one item of white goods in the kitchen, I'd lose the dishwasher and keep the tumble dryer. I get the washing out on the line when I can, but in the winter the tumble dryer makes such a difference.

Hope you enjoyed your baking session.

As for the external walls on your house? My late parent's house was rendered concrete and that was cream, but I have to say the pink does sound nice.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    I 'fess up, Grace, I hadn't done any baking, it's just my trays are not in the best of nick after years of handwashing (mostly by him) and they could do with a spruce up! On the other side of the coin I can't recall if they are either dishwasher safe or proof so it may be time to invest again. I've never bought well with baking trays so most of them are warped. :roll: He's coming round to the idea of using the Boscher, we had a little tutorial session yesterday evening and he can see the sense of it, it's a definite improvement on the previous incumbent.

I always dry my washing indoors so it doesn't get polluted by either pollens or moulds as they upset the breathing but I do love the smell of washing when it's been out in a crisp, winter's day! I have an airer which stands in the corner of the kitchen where there are many heating pipes under the floor, it dries in no time at all.

Your reply set me thinking about what I could not do without in my kitchen - it has to be the washing machine - I once had a little one that sat on the draining board, that was a cutie! I had to buy a little spin dryer too, I clearly remember trying to hold that steady as the load sorted itself out. DD
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I've been too unwell to visit AC lately and one task I have had trouble with is washing up as standing leaves me crippled and unable to get back upstairs. So I decided to treat myself to a dishwasher.

I'm hoping the new arrival will encourage the OH and the children to stack the dishes and then return them to the cupboards as I can longer do this.

After reading many reviews I've decided on a M**l*.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    I hope it does the trick, tkachev, I'm still learning but it is making my life easier. I hold no hope of Mr DD taking an interest in the finer points of loading and clearing, he's a bloke and domestic stuff happens, end of. :roll:

I am sorry that things have not been too good for you but it's lovely to see your name back on the boards. DD
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    The OH is taking charge of the dishwasher and seems to be enjoying his new role.

I'm already glad I bought it.

Elizabeth xxx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    I am very pleased to hear that, tkachev (and it's lovely to hear from you). Mr DD is coming around to it, he's getting quite good at loading and setting it going (I think he is beginning to appreciate its usefulness) but I am the one who unloads and puts away, sometimes very slowly. :wink: DD
  • littlemimmy
    littlemimmy Member Posts: 111
    I absolutely love my dishwasher. It's one of those slimline ones, so perfect for the two of us and the door and drawer is light and easy to handle, even on my worst day.

As my partner cooks, I'm in charge of the dishwasher, and know it's quirks and foibles like the back of my hand and can fit twice as much in there as my partner.

I once read that before you marry someone, you should listen to them chew, and watch them load a dishwasher! :lol: Actually seems like good advice to me!
  • frogmorton
    Mine loads, but refuses to learn how to put a tablet in or switch it on DD!!

Luckily Lucy is now allowed to lift light items being 12 weeks post op.

I hope things are a bit better Elizabeth ((()))

I have seen the slimline ones LittleMimmy and you are I charge. Listen to them chew and watch them load the dishwasher eh?!! I can see the sense in that :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • Fiona88
    Fiona88 Member Posts: 8
    I must admit I love my dishwasher but hate unloading it 🙄 , have my daughter and her husband living with us since they got married so it's become 'their' job !

Fiona