Would you like a recipe thread?

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 14. Apr 2017, 06:15 in Community Chit-chat archive
Back in the day (I dislike the phrase but it's crept in to my vocabulary) there was a thread on this board where recipes were exchanged. It was unfortunately culled by an over-zealous webby but I think it's due a resurrection. Do you agree? I am not a cordon bleu cook but I'm not too shabby; I have a number of easy recipes, enjoy reading new recipes and, to be honest, have missed that thread. What do you think? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Excellent idea, I love baking and experimenting and would be happy to contribute.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh yes please DD anything that is easy suits me.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    I always looked at the old thread and used a few of the recipes myself.

So yes please :D

I vote yes, but can't find the poll???

I'll try again... :?
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Found it!!

Toni xxx
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    sounds a good idea to me DD
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Morning all,not been around but keep looking in .Excellent idea DD I remember the old recipe thread.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Right, I think the poll has a couple of days left to run but I see no reason why not to start the thread. (DD wanders off, wondering what to call the thread . . . . . )
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I really need help here, recipies that are for 1 or are easy to portion and freeze. My problem is that I'm either too tired, or in too much pain to eat a sensible meal let alone cook it and that when I do, I start eating it and decide I don't want it any more/can't face it.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm no cook but I love 'all in one pot' dishes for that reason. Virtually any can be cooked at leisure, one portion eaten and others popped in the freezer. Casseroles, cottage/fish pies, lasagne etc all lend themselves to this. I only discovered about 10 years ago that meat that had been frozen before cooking could be safely re-frozen after. Just de-frost and re-heat thoroughly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    This sounds familiar Slosh! I try to do batches of mince - either fully 'dressed'(onions,tinned tomatoes or stock if I've had chicken) otherwise cooked off and seasoned, then put them in bags lining small plastic boxes to freeze. The small packs can then be put into a larger,labelled, bag when frozen. I keep the portions small so that they can be chucked in a pan and defrost/reheat without problems when needed quickly, alternatively they come out and defrost in the fridge overnight/during the day. Depending on how I'm feeling I will cook pasta or potatoes, otherwise I chuck in a large handful of frozen peas or broad beans(easier to stir in than green beans!) towards the end of reheating, or put salad(mixed bag or homeprepped lettuce etc) in a bowl and pour the mince over. If the mince is 'naked' I'll use something like pesto, a good quality cup soup or one of those concentrated jelly stock cubes to add flavour and juice.
    Another quickie I do is chopping a few mushrooms and sweating them with some butter, making a mushroom cup soup as a sauce, the whole thing poured over microwave rice - usually half a pack as this is one for when I don't feel like eating much but know I have to have something - it takes only a few minutes from start to empty plate.
    Grated cheese stores well in the freezer and can be used from frozen for cheese on toast, pasta or toasted sarnies or over veggies - if I see those microwave pots of fresh peas sweetcorn carrot etc reduced to clear they'll often be my meal with the cheese over. There is also a good selection of pre-sliced cheese now, some with flavourings - mexican style is good - which I find seems to keep well once opened and is great for something quick with bread, hot or cold.