Have jarred my operated leg ...

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 28. Apr 2017, 02:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
... and it blooming well hurt. Like hades! I stumbled this morning coming back into the bungalow and jarred my left foot against the step. That in turn jarred my left knee which was replaced 30th Jan. I am surprised neighbours didn't come running to be honest as I shouted out loud - it was an immediate reaction. But it was about 8am on a Bank Holiday Monday so I'll excuse them.

I managed to get indoors and after doing a lot of deep breathing stood on one leg and uttering words which were not at all ladylike, I thought it was best to keep the knee moving if I could. So I staggered into the bathroom on my elbow crutch and proceeded to do what cleaning I could manage. Then I tried the usual remedy in England - a good old cup of tea. :wink: After that, as a distraction technique, I went out and got a couple of bits and, as the knee was moving, albeit painfully, just got on with things as best as I could.

However. :roll: Yes, you knew that was coming, didn't you? As the afternoon wore on and it got to about 5-6pm ish the pain was increasing in my knee and I was struggling to weight bear on it. This is still the case. My friend said I should go to A&E and get it checked but a) I can walk on it albeit more painfully than recently; b) A&E is under huge pressures without me taking up space; and c) this was my fault and I suspect I've possibly irritated the soft tissue damage which was still healing after the TKR.

Needless to say, if it's still bad tomorrow I'll have no choice but to get it checked. Am so annoyed - with me. I should have known better!

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Don't you dare beat yourself up about this, Grace. You have got everything so right for so long despite a succession of events any one of which would have floored a lesser person.

If it helps, I was a complete idiot after my knee revision. There had been a danger I might have to stay in, over Xmas, for IV antibios. It was 23rd Dec and they finally unearthed a tablet version. I was so desperate to get home I forgot all the drill getting into the car, put all my weight on the operated leg and pivoted on it. Mr SW was all for wheeling me back in but I refused. The knee creaked and groaned horribly but, at my 6 week check up, was fine. Which is more than I deserved.

You have a good plan for tomorrow. Rest up, take the dullers and I wish you the very best. You deserve it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    That's life and it happens. You have sensibly cosseted, 'cuddled' and exercised your knee since the op and yes, things are upset for the time being but I am sure they will settle in due course. I have no doubt that the majority of the deeper healing is done (or at least well-under-way) but I know I am not a doc.

Keep moving as and when to help the removal of stale and supply of new blood to the knee, keep the wound clean and maybe lightly covered but, at the first sign of infection such as redness or swelling get in touch with your GP. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    So you fell. It happens You hardly did it deliberately, did you? Has it addled your brain or something, so you think it's your fault when it so obviously isn't?

I fell on mine several times over the months after the op, but was told by physios it can handle that, because "people do fall now and then, don't they?" I'd place bets on it being soft tissue damage, which hurts like hell, but recovers. But I'm not a doc either, and I could be wrong, so if it carries on, get it checked. That's what the NHS is for.
  • GraceB
    Thank you all. I knew I'd get what my late Dad used to call 'good old fashioned common sense' advice from my friends here.

Thankfully I didn't open the scar up - or create a new one :lol: - so that's a positive. The knee today is horrendously swollen - looks like it did straight after the op as far as the swelling goes. I put my ice packs on it when I got home from work whilst my dinner was cooking. Ice packs are about to re-appear from the freezer for another go.

As I have my medication review on Thursday, if I'm still concerned or worried in any way I'll get it checked.

Thanks again.

Grace
  • stickywicket
    As usual, good tactics, Grace. Please let's know how Thursday goes. My fingers are crossed for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh Grace no wonder that was painful so soon after your op..and like SW says don't beat yourself up about this..most of us have had enough of hospitals so try and stay clear..I hope all is well when you get it checked out..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • GraceB
    Just to update.

I had my medication review. Lovely looking male Nurse Practitioner ... (I digress I admit :lol: ) My meds list is now up to date and 'set' for another year.

Whilst I had the attention of the NP, I asked him about my knee. Explained what happened on Monday, how it felt then, how it's been since and the fact that the swelling is now back to being as bad as it was straight after the op. :roll:

He had a look at this for me. He found a really painful spot at the front of the knee (I suspect front central part of the patella). He agrees with my view that I've probably irritated all the soft tissue which are still "cross and annoyed" - his words - after the op. He said nothing was broken re the implant as far as he could tell.

I'm to give it a week, keep on using my ice packs and elevating it and if the swelling is stays as bad, I'm to get this checked again when they may want x-rays just to be sure. As I see the physio next Thursday if I can't get a GP appt then, at least I'll be able to get the physio to check it.

I also took the opportunity to wave my SW weight record book at him. I emphasised I'd lost 5stone, 3.5lbs as at last week and was maintaining my target weight. He was really pleased and then asked me to get on their scales. These seemed to agree with the ones used by SW, thankfully.

So I'm now off to have some lunch, get my ice packs out and await my delivery from T**co.

Grace
  • dreamdaisy
    I think you have been doing all the right things so keep up the good work. It is very easy to forget that our tissues run deep and healing runs slow so I daresay that you have irked matters and now what is needed is rest, elevation and ice. Packets of frozen peas were always my go-to ice packs (clearly labelled KNEA PEES as a joke so they wouldn't be eaten) because they moulded well to the joint.

Many congratulations on maintaining the weight-loss, that is a remarkable thing and will have a positive impact on all areas of your health. DD
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    OH GRACE
    I UNDERSTAND......I DID THE SAME AFTER MY R TKR. FELL FLAT ON MY FACE GOING UP A DRIVEWAY AND FELT SO STUPID. THEN I STUMBLED A 2ND TIME.....FIRST TIME I HAD BROKEN MY SHOULDER AND THEY PUT PINS PLATES AND SCREWS IN IT....2ND TIME I HAVE TO HAVE A REPLACEMENT SHOULDER SO TUES....HOSPITAL HERE I COME AGAIN
    I DO UNDERSTAND
    LOVE AND HUGS
    HILEENA
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, we're a couple of days further on - how are things now? I hope they are improving. DD
  • GraceB
    DD, thanks for asking. Certainly not any worse although the swelling still appears to be as bad as it was straight after the TKR. I intend to measure my knee first thing in the morning, lunchtimes and evenings for the next few days, write those figures down and see how they go. As I'm seeing the physio Thursday anyway, I can then discuss it with her.

Hileena, good to know I'm not the only one! Such a shame you've got more surgery coming up though.

My sciatica has been playing up today, and my left ankle has been giving me gyp for a good few days. :roll: Thankfully it's all the left leg so it could have been a lot worse! :lol:

GraceB
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, I apologise for not checking in, I'm a tad under the weather arthritically which I am sure you will understand. How are you getting on now? I hope your operated knee is settling down and behaving more nicely! DD
  • stickywicket
    I, too, have been wondering how things were with you, Grace. I hope there is some improvement.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Hi, thanks for thinking of me.

Knee still swelling more than it had been but I saw my physio today. She said the front sore bit over my kneecap was likely to have been the patella nerve and it would have been irritated by the stumble. She said I did everything right and that all being well things should continue to slowly settle. She could see the knee was more swollen this time than it was last time I saw her so that limited the treatment rather.

As I've now had the 6 post-op physio sessions that were part of the surgery package, I've been put onto the "SoS appointment" part of their treatment options. No more appointments booked, but if I have any concerns between now and the end of June, I've to phone and she'll see me. If I don't contact her, end of June she'll discharge me.

As I'm now waiting for physio to start on my neck (my neck impingement is back and is again causing numbness, pins and needles, etc., down my right arm) this is probably good timing. Add to that my sciatica and I'm starting to feel like I'm falling to bits!

As per usual, I'll plod on as all of us who live with Mr Arthur do. Thanks again for asking.

GraceB
  • dreamdaisy
    Post-op physio is essential but always finite - once everyone is happy all is well and we know how to do the exercises properly then we are left to our own devices - fifteen years on I'm still doing my post-synovectomy-op exercises plus the others and will keep doing so.

Once the surface has healed there is a natural tendency to forget about the inside tissues, they remain friable for some time after the procedure and can be easily upset. Keep up with the resting and icing etc. because this will help everything settle down. I wish you luck with the next round of treatment for your neck, sometimes it never seems to end . . . . . DD