Tiredness

Options
JillB
JillB Member Posts: 6
edited 20. Apr 2017, 11:20 in Say Hello Archive
Hi to anyone out there in the ether, I've only posted here once before and a couple of people responded with encouraging words, apologies for not responding back to say thank you.

When I posted before it was to say I was about to go to my GP about the pain I couldn't cope with or pretend wasn't there anymore. Long story short, I was referred for physio, went for a couple of appts but decided not to take it any further as I felt at the time that I can't cope with any more commitments, to doing exercises every day on top of my very physical job and generally looking after a home, a hubby and three dogs.
I feel that was the right decision for me at this time. So I am just taking my prescribed painkillers when I need to (rather than refraining to show myself I'm tough or some such cr*p), and resting when I need to.
I'm writing here today because I'm so tired all the time. I just wanted to express myself as I 'think' better when I write stuff down. I've looked up whether arthritis can cause tiredness and I see that indirectly it can - because my body doesn't work or move so well, it has to work harder and muscles have to overcompensate to produce the same results that a person without arthritis does. I have a very physical job, part time (no way I could do it full time), and I'm actually glad of that as it makes me push myself - without that I'd barely get out of my chair. I'm a member of a health club and try to go at least twice a week to swim with a friend, but unfortunately if she can't go, I rarely get the motivation to go on my own. Also, I struggle to motivate myself to walk my dogs when I'm at home, preferring to get a friend or my hubby to do it. If it wasn't for my job I think I'd give up physically and live in a pity party and not get up. Oh, and I also have long term mental health issues, which are under control via several meds - my mental health is about the best it's ever been, but I still have daily struggles to be mentally 'normal' in order to function.

I'm posting here today not specifically to get sympathy or pity or advice, or anything really...I just wanted to 'talk'. So no need for anyone to feel they have to be the answer to my every need or some such cr*p. Thanks for reading if you've got this far tho :)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I apologise, I cannot remember what kind of arthritis you have but I am very familiar with tiredness: I think we all are.

As you say, our bodies have to work harder to achieve what others manage with ease and that takes its toll on us. I am twenty years in and have had to reduce activity (and increasingly pace myself) as more and more joints have become affected. I have psoriatic arthritis (an auto-immune) and that led in due course to osteo. My mantra is 'do a little, rest a little' which means I can get things done even if it takes some time to complete a task. We have to adjust what we do and how we do it to make allowances for our conditions but not to give in to them - a very narrow tightrope at times! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    There's no need to apologise. We all go through rougher-than-average times with this disease and we understand the need to share the bad times with those who understand. I doubt any of us would feel we were being asked to be the 'answer to your every need' - we're all struggling with our own :wink: but sometimes it helps to struggle together.

As you specifically say you just want to 'talk' and are not looking for 'sympathy or pity or advice, or anything really' I won't offer any. Just the empathy :) But, if you want any of the others, just ask.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • JillB
    JillB Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies. It's osteo I have, so, relatively speaking, that's something to be grateful for, that it's not rheumatoid.
    After posting here yesterday, I took the dogs out for a walk as it was sunny, and we had a really lovely time, I get so much pleasure from watching them have fun. When I got back, I actually felt a bit energised/motivated to get a few small tasks done. I'm going to try to make myself either go swimming or take the dogs out each day when I'm not working, as, I know I will feel better afterwards. It's just really hard when you feel cr*p to push yourself. I've just come back from swimming with my health club pal, and I do feel a bit more awake, both physically and mentally :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    That sounds like a plan and I hope it keeps working for you. Our problem is always to get enough exercise (of the right kind) but not get so carried away that we do too much. It's always a balancing act.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright