Hello - good evening.

Options
PEACHY
PEACHY Member Posts: 2
edited 19. Apr 2017, 09:50 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all - just looking through some of your topics & posts. I am impressed by the kindness & care shown so thought this is the place too be regarding my issues.
I am a 49 year male who as been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both knees - I have been told I can have TKR on both sides but I have tried to postpone as long as possible.
I am always tired - my knees are so stiff every morning & this continues throughout the day. To say I'm at the end of my tether is an understatement - I have been rescheduled back to the consultant to discuss what I can do next. I am finding it difficult to sleep & very bad tempered. It seems I have run out of steam :(.
Anyway - here's to learning & listening from the members of this great forum :sun:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums, PEACHY, from the moderation team.

I am very sorry to hear you have severe arthritis in both knees, but I am pleased you are about to see the consultant again; it sounds as though you may have postponed surgery for long enough. Clearly you have already seen that you will get lots of support from the members on here :D

Lack of sleep and irritability due to pain is a common theme.

I don’t know whether you have had time to look at Arthritis Care’s information about surgery? Just in-case you haven’t here is the link:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/treatments-aids-and-equipment/surgery-and-arthritis

As moderators we are here to help with any problems you may have using the message boards so feel free to send us a message if you need to.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Ellen
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me, too. You are right - there is a great deal of friendship and kindness on here which we all need to avail ourselves of at times. Arthritis is a very frustrating business.

You say you've been offered TKRs. I applaud your desire to soldier on for as long as possible but, when you've been on here as long as I have :oops: , you'll know that it's rare for surgeons to offer new knees and hips at your age. They prefer to wait so as to, hopefully, avoid later revisions. So, if you've been offered them, you must need them.

I'm a veteran - 3 knees and 2 hips - but I've had RA since I was 15. All my joint replacements have been terrific. The knee replacement that had to be replaced was 27 yrs old at the time. Its counterpart is 34, admittedly not going at all strong but still functioning.

If you have specific questions just fire away. The Living With Arthritis forum is best as more people read it. Good luck :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright