Good Morning.

BertieBoy
BertieBoy Member Posts: 5
edited 19. Apr 2017, 14:01 in Say Hello Archive
Hello everyone , this is my first post, having just found this site, and I just wondered if there was anyone out there with any advice for me please.
After lots of cortisone jabs, most of which had no effect, I have just (9 days ago) had a trapezoidectomy on my left hand. I don't know anyone who has had this, and wondered what the long term results are likely to be, in terms of pain reduction, loss of hand strength etc.
I am still waiting to hear from the physio team, but wondered if it was too early to make a start on some gentle physio exercises myself. Any advice or thoughts or experiences welcome. Thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear BertieBoy, welcome to Arthritis Care Forums.

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have using the forums.

There has been discussion previously about Trapezioctomy & I have attached the link here: https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=45706

I hope this helps but, if you need more specific information, you can always contact our Helpline at: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/help-and-support/helpline

In addition to the above, there are many lovely people who use the forums with a wide range of experiences. Have a good look through the different forums and pick the ones you feel are best for the information you seek.

Best wishes,

ModEm
  • BertieBoy
    Thank you for that link and your reply. Much appreciated .
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    You are most welcome :)

Emma.
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Hi BertieBoy. I had a trapeziectomy on my left hand last August and have recovered well. I made sure that I did the physiotherapy exercises - every hour, on the hour - and also used Bio Oil to massage the scar - all under the advice of the physio. Now, eight months later, I have no pain in my left thumb. I don't have the strength back completely, but can use it well and, at least it is pain-free, which is wonderful. However, I am retired and so the strength isn't so important to me as it would be to someone who used their hands a lot for their living. Still, I am able to knit and crochet without pain, which is important to me.

I would wait until you see the physio regarding exercises. Maybe you could give them a ring and ask them how long you are going to have to wait? My physio appointment was made at the same time as I had the operation, but then, every hospital is different.

My right hand is causing me a lot of bother at the moment and I'm wondering whether to go for the op, or whether to stick it out with injections for the time being. They do work quite well for me, but the effect isn't lasting as long as it used to.

I hope everything goes well for you and if you want to ask any questions, feel free. Take care.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello and welcome from me, too. I've not had a trapeziectomy but I see ModEm and Megrose2 have been very helpful. I hope you'll find the op was a big success.

(Megrose :D Lovely to see you :D:D )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • BertieBoy
    Megrose2 wrote:
    Hi BertieBoy. I had a trapeziectomy on my left hand last August and have recovered well. I made sure that I did the physiotherapy exercises - every hour, on the hour - and also used Bio Oil to massage the scar - all under the advice of the physio. Now, eight months later, I have no pain in my left thumb. I don't have the strength back completely, but can use it well and, at least it is pain-free, which is wonderful. However, I am retired and so the strength isn't so important to me as it would be to someone who used their hands a lot for their living. Still, I am able to knit and crochet without pain, which is important to me.

I would wait until you see the physio regarding exercises. Maybe you could give them a ring and ask them how long you are going to have to wait? My physio appointment was made at the same time as I had the operation, but then, every hospital is different.

My right hand is causing me a lot of bother at the moment and I'm wondering whether to go for the op, or whether to stick it out with injections for the time being. They do work quite well for me, but the effect isn't lasting as long as it used to.

I hope everything goes well for you and if you want to ask any questions, feel free. Take care.

Hi Megrose. Thank you so much for your really helpful reply. It has reassured me no end. The surgeon told me beforehand that the slight loss of grip strength and dexterity would be more than made up for by the pain reduction, and that is echoed in what you are telling me too. Although I am right handed, and the op was on my left hand, I have some nerve damage down my right side, and so I find I am using my left hand much more these days, but it had become just so painful, so I'm really pleased to read your experiences . Your religious physio exercise routine...on the hour every hour , has spurred me on to do likewise, so thanks for the motivation too. Kind regards Catherine( BertieBoy)
  • BertieBoy
    Hello and welcome from me, too. I've not had a trapeziectomy but I see ModEm and Megrose2 have been very helpful. I hope you'll find the op was a big success.

(Megrose :D Lovely to see you :D:D )

Thank you for that lovely welcome !!