Top tips for mouth ulcers?

Options
MissKat
MissKat Member Posts: 124
edited 23. Apr 2017, 14:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
These old friends have returned since starting to take Methotrexate again, and whilst I've not missed them in the slightest, I wondered if anyone has any top tips for dealing with them?

I think I just ploughed on regardless last time, using the usual remedies (bonjela and igloo). I know that the folic acid can help with this and am currently only taking one 5mg tab the day after the Meth.

When I phoned after my bloods last week for the results the nurse said I was looking rather anaemic and they might increase my folic acid. (She asked if I was feeling tired, and I replied "well, my husband has scarlet fever and my baby doesn't sleep at night... so... uhmmmm... yeah just a little"!) So I guess if they do decide to increase the fa then this may help too?

Anyway, just after some tips if anyone has them, thanks x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I ALWAYS FIND ANBESOL [MEANT FOR BABIES TEETHING] IS GOOD. THIGS LIKE BONJELA ARE JELLY LIKE AND COME OFF EASILY. THIS IS FOUND BEHIND THE COUNTER IN BOOTS [OTHER PLACES AS WELL] BUT IT DOESNT SEEM TO BE ON THE SHELF
    GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SEARCH

HILEENA
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Abnesol is great, but I also like Igloo. It is great for those on the side of the tongue which feel like...huge!! It does 'come off' after a while, but I still like it :)
  • MissKat
    Options
    Thanks for the tips chums - will look into the baby teething one (I have every baby teething gel apart from that one apparently!!!) x

• Stigger
    Stigger Member Posts: 72
    Options
    I too have had really awful mouth ulcers that wouldn't go away whilst on Methotrexate. My rheummy put me on 5mg of Folic Acid every day except for Mtx day. It worked, within a week or so, they faded and I rarely get them now.

Either get your rheumatologist or GP to prescribe them for you, mouth ulcers are horrible .
  • auntie
    auntie Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Hi MissKat,

I'm also on MTX and used to get really, really bad mouth ulcers periodically that were huge and sometimes took weeks to go away. (Thankfully haven't had one in quite a while, touch wood.) I used to use Citricidal grapefruit seed extract which you can buy in health food shops. You shouldn't use it undiluted, but I would use a drop or two on a wet cotton bud, add a bit more water, and dab it on the ulcer. You can also use it as a mouthwash but it tastes very bitter! It doesn't make them go away but it's supposed to have healing/regenerating properties and I felt it helped speed up the process.

Also used Anbesol anaesthetic liquid for a quick fix, which you can dab on - rather than gels which tend to just rub off or not stick.

Hope that helps x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Please check with your local pharmacist. My understanding is that grapefruit can increase the side-effects of methotrexate while decreasing its efficiency.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Interesting discussion about mouth ulcers here. The subject of grapefruit and it's safety with prescribed medications has come up in the past.

This is an old thread from the forum discussing the subject:

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42196

This is a link to advice from the NHS :

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2474.aspx?CategoryID=73

You can ask your pharmacist or GP or call NHS 111 for advice or your rheumatology team.

I do not know whether extract of grapefruit seeds would be the same I would urge caution until you check with a healthcare professional.

Best of luck with the ulcers to you all.

Ellen
  • paulm
    paulm Member Posts: 1
    Options
    One trick that works for me is Dissolving a 1/2 parecetomol directly onto the mouth ulcer - drys it up pretty quick and gives pain relieve

• Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Difflam mouthwash is the best. I highly recommend it. I also used alloclair (probably not spelt correctly) mouthwash. It is worth getting your folic acid dose reviewed also. Have a chat with your pharmacist. I often find them very helpful but underused.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Starburst wrote:
    Difflam mouthwash is the best. I highly recommend it. I also used alloclair (probably not spelt correctly) mouthwash. It is worth getting your folic acid dose reviewed also. Have a chat with your pharmacist. I often find them very helpful but underused.

Der!!! I can't believe I forgot this!! Lucy was given it when she was on chemo. It's available OTC and numbs the pain straight away :)

Well remembered Sophie!
  • MissKat
    Options
    Ooooooh thank you everyone, will look into those options (but double check the grapefruit one!). So good to have all your ears and experience - thank you x