Newly diagnosed with osteoarthritis in hips

Options
LOR69
LOR69 Member Posts: 3
edited 23. May 2017, 13:17 in Say Hello Archive
Hello

I am 48 and have just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my hips with the right one being the worse. I feel I am, all of a sudden unable to do the normal things I have been doing all my Life!!

I have broken sleep. Feel awful pain in my right knee all the time although they say I do not have arthritis in my Knee!, I have difficulty going up Stairs!

I joined yoga and although I enjoy it and at the sessions I am not soo sore when I get home the pain in my knee is really Bad! I don't know whether to keep it up or not.

I used to walk for an hour and a half between 3 and 5 times a week but I only walk once now as I am soo sore and stiff afterwards. Everything I read says keep active but it's so sore after every activity - I even went swimming and felt great whilst in the water but soo sore After!, I just don't know what to do!! I hate taking painkillers but obviously I have had to resort to them on many occasions!!!

Can anyone tell me if the really bad knee pain is common with osteoarthritis of the hip as my hip is hardly ever that sore???

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Lor69 and welcome to the Arthritis Care forums.

A confirmed diagnosis can be quite a shock along with the realisation that how we now have to live with Arthritis is changing the way we think and plan things.

You may want to talk things through more fully with the Arthritis Care Helplines on 0808 800 4050 open Monday to Friday, 9.30am-5pm where you can speak to them in complete confidence.

When you have arthritis in a joint, you will be moving other joints in new and novel ways to compensate. This may be the cause of severe knee pain in your case. You may well need to return to your doctor to be referred for a course in pain management. The Arthritis Care web site has some great advice on this subject: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/managing-pain

All best wishes
    Bryn
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I have OA in my knees, ankles and hips. My knees started first, with another kind of arthritis, and the joint damage that caused led to the OA in all three areas. When a joint is affected we naturally alter the way we move in order to avoid / minimise pain, thus throwing other joints out of kilter. I began aged 37 and am now 58.

I don't do yoga or pilates or anything that involves standing because I can't (the first of many arthritis-induced things which can't be done anymore). I have done stairs like a toddler for over fifteen years which bothers me not - I still ascend and descend which is the aim of the game. Exercise is good for us overall but non-weight bearing is better for our joints. Swimming is good but, in my experience, not for a long period of time because it's when gravity hits the troubles begin. Cycling is another option but it all depends on what suits you and how you are being affected. Walking can still be done but wear good, supportive footwear and use walking poles to ease some of the strain on the joints. We talk on here of payback and this is what you are experiencing - we go and do something we enjoy but there is a price to be paid.

Around ten million people in the UK are affected by arthritis and the majority have OA. Arthritis is no respecter of age or gender, it cares not what plans we may have regarding our lives and how we are going to live them. It brings us pain and tiredness, it forces us to adapt and change what we do and how we do it so we can keep on doing what we can when we can.

Another phrase we use on here is pain dullers (because that is all they do, they certainly don't kill it). What has your GP prescribed? Has he referred you to an orthopaedic surgeon? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LOR69
    LOR69 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi DD

Thank you for your reply. My Dr prescribed PARACETAMOL, IBUPROFEN and CoCodamol which as you say only dull the pain. She has referred me to a consultant - I'm just waiting on an appointment. I had attended a physiotherapist who has given me a list of exercises to do, although it's quite boring doing them on my own - I also try to do 10 mins a day on an exercise bike. Maybe I will give swimming a try again and maybe walking but not too much. I just feel useless as I am sore and soo tired everyday! And because of this I just feel like eating rubbish which is not Helping!

Look forward to hearing from you

Lorraine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hi Lorraine and welcome from me too.

Arthritis is a pain in every sense of the word :roll: and it can take a long time to adapt to its demands. The knee pain sounds to be what they call 'referred pain' from your hips ie you walk differently to make life easier for the bits that hurt but that makes other bits hurt too. It's certainly true that exercise actually helps arthritis as it keeps our muscles strong. Strong muscles support the joints better and so they hurt less.

However, although swimming is good, the breast stroke leg action is not good for those with arthritis in hips and knees. A crawl leg action is recommended. Have a look here
    http://tinyurl.com/kwoz7dd

Another thing that we have to get used to is doing things differently so, with any kind of exercise, little and often is better that one long session. This can be difficult and awkward to fit into our day but you might find you can build up to longer sessions.

With stairs – the way DD suggested is the best and I'd add that going down backwards can help too. (“I never know whether you're coming or going” a good friend once said to me :lol: )

You say your doc has prescribed paracetamol, ibuprofen and co-codamol. I do hope he/she pointed out that co-codamol itself contains paracetamol and we should never take more that 8 in 24 hours. (NOT 8 paracetamol and 8 co-codamol but just 8 in any combination). There are other anti-inflammatories besides ibuprofen and stronger pain relief than co-codamol. Like you, I prefer to take as few meds as possible but I recognise that some are necessary. I usually take two co-codamol going to bed and ensuring you have a good bed and pillow helps too.

The bad news is that 'eating rubbish' doesn't help either. I usually have some good leftovers in the freezer from things made on my better days - lasagne, cottage pie, fish pie, stir fry etc.and I find it's as quick to make a salad as it is a sandwich. I always have fresh fruit and veg in the house to nibble on but, as for junk food, if I don't buy it I can't eat it whereas if I do buy it I probably will eat it :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lionlover
    Lionlover Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi, I'm so sorry to hear that you are having such a tough time.
    I'm 59 and newly diagnosed with OA of the spine. I get pain all over my body especially back and down legs. Like you I feel like I can't do the things I used to
    I was very fit and enjoyed walking and playing with my grandchildren. Now if I do any activity I am in pain all over for 2 days afterwards and have to rest until it subsides.
    I have to plan in advance and I know that if I have an active day i will pay for it afterwards.
    I can take Co codamol but only take it when absolutely necessary as it is very addictive. I other wise manage the pain by resting after activity and soaking in a very warm bath.
    I hope you find a way of managing your pain.
    Best wishes. Lionlover