What arthritic gloves work best ?

Elyzabeth
Elyzabeth Member Posts: 3
edited 25. Apr 2017, 09:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
My hands are always very cold and my joints at the thumb and first finger are becoming very swollen

Suggestions much appreciated !

xxx

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums, Elyzabeth , from the moderation team.

I am very sorry to hear your thumb and forefingers are very swollen and that your hands are often cold. You specifically ask for information about gloves, which have helped others with similar issues, with that in mind I have attached a couple of links:

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25080&hilit=arthritic+gloves

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=43865&p=582010&hilit=arthritic+gloves#p582010

As moderators we are here to help with any problems you may have using the message boards so feel free to send us a message if you need to.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Ellen
  • Elyzabeth
    Elyzabeth Member Posts: 3
    ELLEN THANK-YOU FOR THE REFERRALS RE: GLOVES THE FIRST ONE USES THE TERM IS*TONER... IS THAT ISOTONER ?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    It is indeed isotoner Elyzabeth.

I hope you find something which helps you :)

Best wishes

Ellen
  • littlemimmy
    littlemimmy Member Posts: 111
    Hi Elyzabeth and welcome to the forum!

Like those in the threads Ellen has given you, I use isotoner, or compression, gloves. They really help me with the pain and swelling, so I would definitely recommend them.

Mine are very thin, but do keep my fingers nice and warm. Also, because they are so thin, it's easy to put a second pair on over the top when I go out.

Hope that helps!
    Kay
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    It's a case of trial and error as much as anything. I found that full gloves are not always very helpful for me, and that fingerless gloves(more topless really as each finger does have bit of cover at the bottom!) plus a selection of big gloves(to fit over), mittens(ditto) and wrist warmers cover most requirements. I found by accident that having my wrists covered was often the single most effective thing I could do when cold weather or faulty circulation causes difficulties, and conveniently I have several different kinds which I'd knitted one winter when the weather kept me inside more than I would have liked.
    Even during the 'warmer'weather I keep a black pair of topless gloves to hand for work(in a cold building), and a pale pair for elsewhere - I used them this morning for my recorder group. I'm hoping that I won't need to up the ante for a while yet as that would make problems for work and play!