Triple fusion

Williamfullard84
Williamfullard84 Member Posts: 2
edited 30. Apr 2017, 07:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I'm due to have a triple fusion on my left ankle on the 25th may I'm just wondering if anybody knows if it helped with the pain relief and how much does it hurt post op

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums, Williamfuller84, from the moderation team.

I am very sorry to hear you are facing triple fusion on your ankle. This is a good place to find people who have been there ahead of you. I can promise you will get lots of support from the members on here, some of whom have similar problems to you.

This is a recent link where Mermaid talks of her good result:

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47639&hilit=ankle+fusion

This is a link to Arthritis Care’s fact sheet:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/1179-osteoarthritis-of-the-ankle

As moderators we are here to help with any problems you may have using the message boards so feel free to send us a message if you need to.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Ellen
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi William. I can't really add much to Mod Ellen's reply other than to say that both my ankles fused themselves (The orthopaedic surgeon said he 'couldn't have done a better job' himself :D ). The pain was very rough indeed beforehand but I have virtually no ankle pain now.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Hi William , I have had both ankles fused , first in 2001 & second in 2009 , six weeks in plaster non weight bearing & then into a airboot for up to 6 months

any joint fused wont give you pain but you still have the main ankle joint & been told mine will need something but need replacement hip & two knees first . As for the opperation you will feel very little & they are very good at controlling the pain , & it will let you know when you are over doing things , but it so well worth having it done
  • dalek
    dalek Member Posts: 32
    trepolpen wrote:
    Hi William , I have had both ankles fused , first in 2001 & second in 2009 , six weeks in plaster non weight bearing & then into a airboot for up to 6 months

any joint fused wont give you pain but you still have the main ankle joint & been told mine will need something but need replacement hip & two knees first . As for the opperation you will feel very little & they are very good at controlling the pain , & it will let you know when you are over doing things , but it so well worth having it done

Hi Trepolpen
    I may have ankle fusion on my left ankle.
    Have you found the ankle fusion has caused pressure on the rest of your foot?
    What type of arthritis do you have?
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    dalek wrote:
    trepolpen wrote:

Hi Trepolpen
    I may have ankle fusion on my left ankle.
    Have you found the ankle fusion has caused pressure on the rest of your foot?
    What type of arthritis do you have?

Hi , I had positive RA for 22 years , the problem with a foot swelling is that it can cause other problems like leg ulcers & fusion will help , some peole have problems with the main ankle joint so the ankle with still swell & you can have problems with the small joints in the foot , a fusion will always help but take the advice from your consultant