Recipes.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 27. May 2017, 13:37 in Community Chit-chat archive
That's an original title, isn't it? :wink:

Pork in Balsamic Vinegar (This feeds two, just double or treble quantities etc. as needed.)

Ingredients

1 pork tenderloin.
1/3 cup of olive oil.
1/3 cup of balsamic vinegar.
1 - 2 tablespoons of steak rub.
1 teaspoon of clear honey.

Method

Cut the loin in two and lightly score the surface of each half twice or thrice. Place in a strong food bag.

Mix together the oil, vinegar, steak rub and honey then pour over the loin.

Squash the air out of the bag, knot it, massage it and put in the fridge to keep cool.

Marinade for a minimum of two hours - I usually aim for around eight - massaging the bag from time to time.

Heat the oven to 200 degrees or 180 fan (I am not sure of the gas equivalents as I am on electric). Place in an ovenproof dish and bake for around thirty minutes, basting occasionally if you remember. Larger portions will, of course, take longer while smaller will be quicker. I serve it with potato and parsnip mash and plain green beans.

DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Ingredients

1-2 tsp barley malt extract (to taste)
    1 cup c 200ml soya milk

Method

Heat milk in microwave for 1 min 30sec High
    Add Malt
    Stir and enjoy
    I find the sweetness of the malt enhances the soya milk flavour.

Variations
    Add 1 tsp coco powder + and sweetner preferred or just sprinkle cocoa over milk when heated
  • dreamdaisy
    Spicy Sweet Potato Soup for Two

Ingredients

Sweet potatoes (the quantity is difficult to determine because I go by sight, not weight, sorry :oops: )
    One large parsnip
    Vegetable stock
    1 tablespoon of medium curry powder
    1 tin of cannelloni beans in water.

Method

Peel and cut the sweet potato into large chunks, ditto with the parsnip.

Place in a large saucepan and add at least one litre of vegetable stock to cover. (I use two organic cubes to the litre).

Add the curry powder and 3/4 tin of the cannelloni beans, these can be rinsed if wanted.

Bring to the boil and simmer until the veg is soft, usually around twenty minutes.

Blend as you wish; I have a blender but prefer to use my stick blender as that reduces washing up. Add the rest of the beans and some milk, if wished, and gently reheat.

Variations

This can be spiced up or down as required (I do up, stronger curry powder, chilli flakes and chilli powder are options, for down use a mild curry powder mix and nothing else). I have tried it with onions and that wasn't too successful, I have also used butter, black-eyed and aduki beans (my motto being 'if in the cupboard then use' :wink: ) I have tried gently frying the veg in butter but wasn't too keen on the results, I've never added garlic but have wondered about some fresh ginger . . . . maybe next time.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Here is a recipe for Cajun salmon burgers from Inspire magazine
    http://portfolio.cpl.co.uk/inspire/2017-spring/recipes-1/
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • dreamdaisy
    Broccoli and Stilton Soup

Ingredients

Two medium heads of broccoli.
    Two pints of vegetable stock.
    Freshly milled pepper.
    Stilton to taste.

Method

Wash the broccoli and trim the base of the stem. Chop roughly into chunks and put into a large pan. Add the vegetable stock, bring to the boil and simmer until the broccoli is tender.

Add the stilton in chunks, stir in then blend. Taste and add more cheese if required (I tend to add quite a lot :wink: )

I suspect that any crumbly blue cheese could be used but I stick to what I know.

DD
  • palo
    I love Broccoli and Stilton -but it must be strong and smelly...the Stilton that is.
  • palo
    Leek and Potato Soup

1 tblsp oil - whichever you prefer e.g. sunflower, rape etc
    1 onion, peeled and diced
    1 tsp garlic puree
    1 lb leeks, washed and sliced
    1/2 lb potatoes, washed, peeled and diced
    2 pts vegetable stock
    1 tsp low sodium salt

Sweat vegetables - onion, leeks, and potatoes for 5-10 mins in oil
    Add garlic, stock and salt
    Bring to boil and cook approx 20 mins

Puree with stick blender in pot
    Re-heat and eat with bread - i like seeded bread with it.

Variations
    Add swirl of cream when serving
    Or yoghurt
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I love Leek and Potato soup. I like the look of your pork recipie too DD, I could cut the tenderloin in two, divide the marinade and pork between two bags and then freeze one.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    We're having the pork tonight - it's marinating away in the fridge.

Ratatouille

Ingredients

1 medium aubergine
    1 large courgette (or 2 medium)
    150ml olive oil
    1 large or 2 medium red onions sliced into thin rings
    1 tablespoon of tomato puree
    2 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped
    1 green or red pepper, seeded and cut into strips
    1 box or can of chopped tomatoes
    freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 tsp of cinnamon
    1/2 tsp of dried basil

Method

Heat the oil in a large pan and gently fry the onion and garlic for around 15 minutes.

While that is happening wash and thickly slice the aubergine, then quarter each slice.

Wash the courgette/s and thickly slice.

Add the aubergines and courgette to the onions and stir, then add everything else. Bring to the simmer then cover and leave for forty minutes. Check and, if it's too runny leave the lid off and allow the sauce to reduce.

I serve to accompany pork chops. The above is enough for two, increase as desired.

DD
  • palo
    DD - it is a major source of regret to me that I cannot satisfactorily cook aubergine, and my worst humiliation that dry vegetable curries are beyond me - and me being Indian..
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Oh palo, thanks for the smile :lol: There are so many 'simple' things that we all fail to cook satisfactorily. I bought a foolproof rice steamer many years ago. Until I got it my rice was truly awful whichever method I used. I dread the words 'You can't go wrong...' Wanna bet :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    I take great pride in the fact that although he was a dab hand at most curry/bryiani/bahji type recipies my Pakistani born ex asked me to teach him how to cook rice.

He also reckoned I made better naan breads than his Mother
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I am loving this thread... :D palo the leek and potatoe soup we made a couple of days ago it is tasty..I will have a look at my recipe cutting I keep and get back...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I use wholegrain rice and fry it first, takes a lot longer to cook but its almost impossible to overcook and has a nutty flavour. The paella mix comes from an on-line spanish company. Fish is a packet of frozen white fish from Lidl and seafood mix from Sainsburys. Fish stock from same. Cider(rougher the better) or white wine to choice. Large white onions are best, a stronger taste. If you're feeling rich then a smoked haddock and elastic bands (frozen squid), mussels, large prawns go down well.

Oven cook the chicken legs and place in baking tray, paella dish or large pan or why, including the fat for taste.
    Fry the rice to a golden brown and place in a flat baking tray.

Fry the chopped onions to a golden brown and place in the tray. Two garlic cloves same. A goodly dollop of olive oil.

Put the powdered paella mix and fish stock into a jug of white or cider and pour into the tray.

Add chopped fish.

Cook for two hours allowing it to simmer, adding fluid of choice to keep it steaming. Season to taste.

3mins before end of cooking, add mussels, prawns, squid etc. Needs to be timed so that minimum moisture is left.

3oz rice person (2oz for small eaters)
    2 x chicken legs per person.
    1 x fish fillet per person.
    seafood mix-as you prefer.
    1/2 large onion per person.
    Two garlic cloves for four (or as many as you fancy.)

You can tell this is my own recipe, it changes often or depending on whats in the house. It all gets eaten. I use a large electric dish with a cover to stop it drying out, under the cooker hood.

I started the 'paella wars' a few years ago and other members of the family all take part to cook their own version for us all, great fun and the discussions go on for years! I think its my sons turn next? Serve with garlic bread and chopped parsley on top.
  • Airwave!
    I use wholegrain rice and fry it first, takes a lot longer to cook but its almost impossible to overcook and has a nutty flavour. The paella mix comes from an on-line spanish company. Fish is a packet of frozen white fish from Lidl and seafood mix from Sainsburys. Fish stock from same. Cider(rougher the better) or white wine to choice. Large white onions are best, a stronger taste. If you're feeling rich then a smoked haddock and elastic bands (frozen squid), mussels, large prawns go down well.

Oven cook the chicken legs and place in baking tray, paella dish or large pan or why, including the fat for taste.
    Fry the rice to a golden brown and place in a flat baking tray.

Fry the chopped onions to a golden brown and place in the tray. Two garlic cloves same. A goodly dollop of olive oil.

Put the powdered paella mix and fish stock into a jug of white or cider and pour into the tray.

Add chopped fish.

Cook for two hours allowing it to simmer, adding fluid of choice to keep it steaming. Season to taste.

3mins before end of cooking, add mussels, prawns, squid etc. Needs to be timed so that minimum moisture is left.

3oz rice person (2oz for small eaters)
    2 x chicken legs per person.
    1 x fish fillet per person.
    seafood mix-as you prefer.
    1/2 large onion per person.
    Two garlic cloves for four (or as many as you fancy.)

You can tell this is my own recipe, it changes often or depending on whats in the house. It all gets eaten. I use a large electric dish with a cover to stop it drying out, under the cooker hood.

I started the 'paella wars' a few years ago and other members of the family all take part to cook their own version for us all, great fun and the discussions go on for years! I think its my sons turn next? Serve with garlic bread, lemon slice and chopped parsley on top.
  • dreamdaisy
    Easy Dips

It's the bank holiday weekend and many of you may be entertaining friends, family or both so here are some lovely, simple dips to go with crisps or veg.

Brinjal Pickle Dip

I love this, I buy P*t*ks brinjal pickle (brinjal = aubergine) for the following:

Use one part pickle to two parts plain or Greek-style yoghurt (or mayonnaise of choice). Stir one into the other, serve with the accompaniments and wait for the compliments.

Variations include using horseradish, tartare, lime pickle, various mustards and chutneys but the basic proportions remain the same - and of course can be adjusted to taste.

DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Beef with Olives

This is another one-pot favourite of mine, again the quantities are based on two (with enough to freeze for another meal, well that's the theory).

Ingredients

700g of chuck steak, trimmed and cubed. *
    4 rashers of chopped, dry cured unsmoked back bacon.
    1 large white onion, sliced or chopped.
    2 cloves of crushed garlic (or chopped, or omitted depending on taste).
    400g of chopped tomatoes.
    3 strips of orange zest minus pith (I use at least six because my paring isn't too handy).
    The juice of said orange, if large then just juice half, leaving the rest in reserve.
    1 tsp of dried thyme.
    1 bay leaf.
    Freshly ground pepper.
    I medium jar of pimento-stuffed green olives.

* I use either the ready-cubed beef from a supermarket or what my butcher recommends, the latter tends to be better quality.

Method

Heat the oven to 160 C /325 F/gas mark 3.

If desired (and you have the energy) fry on the beef in batches in a large oven proof thing and set aside. If not desired (or you don't have the energy) don't because the outcome is very similar. :wink:

Once the beef is or isn't done do the same (in the same pan) to the onion, garlic and bacon, then add the beef, tomatoes, orange zest, juice, thyme, bay leaf and pepper. Bring to the boil then cover and put in the oven for 90 minutes.

Add the stuffed olives (I don't salt due to this component and again go by look) and return to the oven for another 90 minutes.

This can be served with plain boiled potatoes or mash and a variety of veg.

DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Frankfurter Vichy for Four

This is another one-pot recipe but I lost the original many moons ago and my memory isn't too bonny. If you decide to try this I wish you well :wink:

Ingredients

A goodly chunk of butter (I use unsalted) or a princely lug of olive oil.
    Two medium white onions, sliced.
    Two crushed garlic cloves.
    4 sticks of celery, washed, strung and thickly chopped.
    3 carrots, peeled and thickly chopped.
    Two medium-large white potatoes, peeled and heartily chunked.
    10 thickly chopped frankfurters (I use H*rt*).
    750ml chicken stock.
    150ml dry white wine.
    1 tbspn tomato puree.
    2 bay leaves.
    Freshly ground black pepper.

Method

Pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees (180 fan, gas mark no idea, sorry).

In an oven/hob-proof casserole fry on the onions, garlic, celery, carrots and potatoes in the butter / oil / bit of both if required, stirring occasionally until bored. Chuck in everything else and, once gently bubbling, transfer to the oven. If your casserole isn't hob-proof no problem, fry on etc. in a large pan and than transfer to your casserole.

Leave alone for around an hour, the franks will swell making the meal look bigger (which visually satisfies blokes) and the spud chunks should be firm but easily pierced by a fork. If I need to stretch the meal I serve with frozen broad beans, peas or a mixture.

DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I keep looking at these delicious recipes and feeling I should contribute in return but, when I thought about it, I realised I never do quantities. Whatever I'm cooking I just estimate approximately how much of any ingredient I need depending on how many will be eating. I also substitute all the time. It's a bit of a nuisance when something turns out really well and I haven't a clue what I did differently.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Interesting SW, we are just two a lot of the time, the freezer is the answer for us.

I find that food cooked in a pan is better when simmered gently for a longer period then stirred, it tends to make the cooked outer of the meat/veg fall off and become part of the sauce and hence tastier, works well with stews etc etc and of course it thickens up the sauce by removing excess moisture. I tend to cook some meals with wine and those stock capsules rather than the dried tablets help.
  • Airwave!
    A large white Spanish onion finely chopped and fried till brown, lean beef mince browned in pan, 3 cloves of garlic the same, then 2 tins of peeled plum tomatoes, one tin of drained kidney beans, a jar of 'pasta' sauce, 4 finely chopped mushrooms and a goodly drop of red wine and mixed herbs.

Allow to simmer gently for 45 mins with a lid on, then squeeze the plum toms against the side and stir well. Serve with wholewheat spagetti or linguinni. When serving the spagetti, pour some olive oil over it, this turns the toms into a 'superfood' that is especially good for us. Serve with freshly chopped parsley and grated cheese to taste.

450grams beef mince.
    1 x large Spanish onion.
    3 x cloves of garlic
    4 x mushrooms
    Tins of peeled plum tomatoes (x 2), kidney beans (x1) and a jar of tomato based sauce.
    Approx 150ml of red wine, sprig of parsley. Some dried mixed herbs. 3ozs of spagetti per person.
    The sauce will serve 8 meals. We sometimes include garlic bread.
  • palo
    I keep looking at these delicious recipes and feeling I should contribute in return but, when I thought about it, I realised I never do quantities. Whatever I'm cooking I just estimate approximately how much of any ingredient I need depending on how many will be eating. I also substitute all the time. It's a bit of a nuisance when something turns out really well and I haven't a clue what I did differently.

I am very much of that school too, hubby says I never do the same thing twice, which he hates..
  • palo
    My top tips:

Garlic in almost anything savory enhances it.

Butter enhances anything that requires fat as it has much better depth and flavour than any other fat. Use tiny quantities if you must and a combination of fats.

Low sodium salt in soups just 1 tsp is enough to enhance the flavour

Recipes are guides, always adjust for your own tastes and preferences, I don't think many people would like 7 garlic cloves or half a jar in their sphagetti bolognese but we do.
  • Airwave!
    This is a reasonably priced and easy dish to cook, for two.

A palm full of cumin and coriander, ground up and heated in olive oil. Roughly chop one onion, fry off till brown, same for one potatoe or sweet potatoe and two fillets of fish, place in pan and pour passata and water (or wine/cider) in equal portions to nearly cover the food, allow to simmer for thirty mins with lid on, stir and test. Season as you wish.

Serve with chopped parsley and a slice of lemon, thats it!

I think this orignates in Spain, there are lots of variations for you to try.
  • Slosh
    Easy summer soup.

This is a very quick soup to make and is a beautiful green colour. I usually double up the amounts and freeze it down in portions. You can substitute watercress for baby spinach if preferred, and pretty it up with save baby spinach leaves, sprig of mint or dash of cream. It's also healthy!

Pea and Spinach Soup. About 4 servings
    200g frozen peas,
    100g baby spinach
    500ml veg stock
    Few mint leaves
    Salt/pepper to taste.

Bring stock to boil, add peas and mint and cook for 3 mins.
    Gradually add spinach and let it wilt down.
    Remove from heat and blitz (I have one of those stick blenders), season to taste.

You can add potatoe to thicken it but I find this dulls the colour.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Hi Airwave, re your last recipe I take it one uses coriander and cumin seeds?

Goulash

Again the quantities are for four (which I do so it covers two meals)

Ingredients

2 tbsps. olive oil.
    25g butter (I omit this).
    1kg of braising steak, cubed but not too small.
    2 large onions, peeled and roughly chopped.
    2 tbsps. paprika.
    one box/can of chopped tomatoes (I use two).
    225ml beef stock.
    150ml red wine.
    A disc of greaseproof paper slightly larger than the lid of the casserole.

Sour cream / crème fraiche / natural yogurt and thinly sliced gherkins for serving.

Method

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.

Heat the oil in a flame-and-oven proof casserole, brown the beef in batches and set aside.

Add the butter and onions and fry gently until softened.

Return the beef to the pan and add everything else. Bring to the boil, turn off the heat, cover with the paper and lid then transfer to the oven.

Bake for 2 hours or until the meat is tender. In my experience by the end of the cooking time the sauce thickens but, if you feel yours is too liquid then mix a little cornflour with cold water and stir in.

Serve with rice and dollops of sour cream or other choice and a few slices of gherkin.

Me? I fry on the onion then chuck everything else in. I don't serve with the cream etc. because we don't like it. DD