The Rise of the High Rise Sandwich

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 1. May 2017, 08:07 in Community Chit-chat archive
In my youth sandwiches were simple affairs. Two slices of bread or a halved bun with a bit of meat (maybe with pickle), cheese and tomato or, at a hungry pinch, jam in between.

Now, as my arthritic jaw opens less and less (None of your wisecracks, Mr SW) sarnies have grown taller and taller to the extent that they now require scaffolding.

When I first encountered such a beast I simply removed the acaffolding and ate the sarnie in two halves but even that is impossible now. I am unfit to order and eat a sarnie in public. It has to be a private indulgence.

I love the ones over here where I can really imdulge myself with tuna, guacamole, olives, coriander, artichokes and lots of other squidgy stuff. But the sight of me actually eating one would put all other diners off their meals.

Maybe the time has come to serve the contents as a salad, with knife and fork, and the bun or bread on a side plate.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Or go back to sensible size servings....
    Judging from an article I was looking at the other day I think some cheffie types see it as a challenge to do a jenga and to hell with the practicalities of eating - food as willy waving - and also a chance to see how many weird food/taste combinations they can achieve.
    Rather a long way from the original concept it has to be said!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Carry a rolling pin with you at all times and squash 'em flat
    :D
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    frogmorton wrote:
    Carry a rolling pin with you at all times and squash 'em flat
    :D

Brilliant idea Toni.... :lol::lol: I don't have this prob has I cant eat bread..so salad it is.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I take all my sarnies, rolls and even burgers apart and eat all the bits separately and have done for years. I don't think I'll ever change.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    SW, I know what you mean with the jaw thing. Tbh I don't feel like eating all that bread these days and look for other things on the menu, oh the things that growing up does to us....... a few times I have ordered and left half, I still don't feel like eating later in the evening.

I even have a 'light night' when oh goes out, an omlette is nice .
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I hear you. With a jaw that opens less than a centrimetre on a good day, I'm limited when it comes to grabbing something. On the other hand, people like us do well in those hipster restaurants where everything is deconstructed. I ordered a sandwich plate on a random bar place that I found and basically, they plonked the ingredients on a plate and I made it myself. Charged a bomb, of course.