Hello.

emilienicole
emilienicole Member Posts: 3
edited 1. May 2017, 05:30 in Say Hello Archive
I'm a 26 year old female living in the north west of England. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my right hip in January 2016 after having hip pain since September 2015.

I have been prescribed a couple of different anti-inflammatories since then as well as being prescribed co-codamol, but nothing has helped.

I'm in pain everyday, but some days are a whole lot worse than others.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi emilienicole and welcome to the Arthritis Care forums.

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing a difficult level of pain in spite of the co-codamol and anti-inflammatories. A flare in arthritis can make everyday life extremely difficult as many on here can testify.

There is a good section of advice on Managing Pain on the Arthritis Care web site with a booklet that you can download: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/managing-pain

You can also ring the Arthritis Care Helplines on 0808 800 4050 open Monday to Friday, 9.30am-5pm who can give personal confidential advice on pain management.

It may also be worth returning to your GP to explain how your pain affects your daily life. Taking a "pain diary" or examples of when the pain is at its worst can help.

All best wishes
    Bryn
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I am sorry you have had this diagnosis at such a young age, I'm an old bat of 58 and have OA in some useful places (including my hips) as a result of the damage caused by my other arthritis which began when I was 37. Pain relief and anti-inflammatory meds will not take the problem away but they can be reasonably effective in controlling matters if they are taken on a regular basis - have you been doing this? I understand the reluctance that some have about taking meds every day but it is necessary to get the best from them.

I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • emilienicole
    @dreamdaisy

I was initially given naproxen and took that for a week before ending up at a&e due to having pains in my chest. Turns out the naproxen had given me really bad heartburn.

I was then prescribed Lodine (and some omeprazole) and took that for a month, but that didn't help with the pain either.

I was also prescribed 15mg co-codamol tablets. These actually relieved quite a bit of pain, but made me sleepy and I couldn't concentrate at work.

At the moment I'm just taking 8mg co-codamol when the pain is really bad. The pain doesn't go entirely, but it's a whole lot more bearable.

• Fiona88
    Fiona88 Member Posts: 8
    I think it's hard being diagnosed with joint problems at such a young age and having been there myself (many moons ago ) the best advice I can give is to be kind to yourself . Don't push when in flare and find an exercise you can do

All the best
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you for the further detail, it's very helpful. Naproxen is an anti-inflammatory and, as a potential long-term med, should have been prescribed with omeprazole in order to protect your stomach. I never found it helpful for me but my husband finds it good when his gout flares (he's already on omep for gastric issues so that side is sorted).

Finding the right combination of medication can be a very time-consuming business, over my arthritic years I have tried three anti-inflammatories, only one helped to alleviate some of the pain (my first) but it was too expensive for my GP to prescribe. I find heat good to ease some of the discomfort in my joints if my OA is having a go at me (which it does when I overdo things). Do you have any wheat bags or at least a hot water bottle? Old fashioned indeed but temporarily effective.

I appreciate that I am lucky in that I have no trouble tolerating opoids but know from reading on here that others are troubled by feeling spaced out, sleepy, removed from life. Your GP is best-placed to advise you about such matters but it's good that the 8/500 is helping (that's 8mg of codeine combined with 500mg of paracetamol). DD

PS A further thought: do you use any kind of walking aid to ease the strain on your bad hip? If so I hope you are holding it in the opposite hand - they certainly improve mobility.
  • emilienicole
    edited 30. Apr 2017, 14:44
    @dreamdaisy

I have found that using a hot water bottle has been a little effective, as the heat takes my mind of the pain.

I have used Deep Heat gel, usually when I'm at work (I should really remember to put it back in my work bag), for the same reason.

I don't use any walking aids.

• dreamdaisy
    Distraction is my key method of coping with pain - I know that if I don't focus on things don't hurt as much. I recall an exercise I did on an Arthritis Care course - we had to focus on one painful area for thirty seconds, timed by the course leader. The thirty seconds was an eternity and I became aware of my other painful areas too. We were then asked to focus (for another timed thirty seconds) on how we would spend ten thousand pounds and the time flew by - in fact forty five seconds flew by.

Work was a distraction until things became too severe, now I knit, read, do puzzles (both written and jigsaw), go shopping (great fun!) and run the house as best I can but I do understand the challenge it presents in its early days. I am a great deal further on than you, have two kinds of arthritis and shot to bits so everything hurts everywhere but when it was just a couple of joints it was harder to cope with because the pain seemed to be more intrusive. DD