Popped by to say hi!

Fiona88
Fiona88 Member Posts: 8
edited 1. May 2017, 05:38 in Say Hello Archive
Hello everyone ☺️

Had back problems since I was 35 and was eventually diagnosed with auto immune disease which at the moment has 'settled' 🙄 Have osteoarthritis in my spine along with prolapsed discs but for the first time in years can walk a little , I had been using a wheelchair . Live in Hertfordshire and am interested to know if anyone does Yoga (very basic) or stretching exercises ?

Also suffer with inflammation in tendons so have to be careful with exercise haha what's exercise ?!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi to you Fiona88,

Fantastic news that you can now walk a little, you should be really proud of yourself, and I'm sure I just read you had lost weight too! Well done for making the online group work so well for you.

Basic stretches are exactly the way to go, range of movement exercises and maybe a little cardio - for us the aim is to raise the heart rate - just a little and feel a little warmer.

Here's the arthritis care exercise booklet

https://tinyurl.com/nypqzq8

I'm sure others will be along soon, perhaps you could start a gym club for the members

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, I have PsA (psoriatic arthritis) which is an auto-immune inflammatory type and that has led to OA in my ankles, knees, hips and elsewhere. Moving is possible but far from enjoyable; I have a wheelchair for holiday use so I can do more but generally use my rollator when I am out and about. I am now in my twenty-first year of this malarkey and am very fortunate in that, to date, my spine and neck remain unaffected: my neck does become very tight and uncomfortable due to tension and crutch-use but a deep (and painful) sports massage sorts that for a while.

Exercise is a difficult area for us, I still do my post-synovectomy-op exercises to help work my leg muscles and keep some strength in them, plus others that have been added along the way as other troubles have cropped up. Over the years I have lost the ability cycle, dance and hike but I am still able to render myself somewhat breathless when doing housework :wink:

I hope you find the forum to be of interest, I look forward to seeing your name here and there around the boards. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben