Struggling to exercise enough to lose weight

hippy
hippy Member Posts: 55
edited 2. May 2017, 02:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
So I have wear and tear/OA in my knees. I have been doing my physio, my knee is much stronger. However, I am still having a lot of related/unrelated? problems with my muscles.

I am overweight. About 3 stone. I know this is not good for my knees. I have tried soooo hard to lose weight. I am eating a healthy diet and have been for months. I lost about 5 lbs, half a pound a week but nothing for the last month. I have been trying really hard to exercise but as soon as I try to up the pace (I have been walking) my muscles seize (not cramp, they literally feel like they are being pulled apart) up, so I can only walk REALLY slowly. This does not increase my heart rate, so does nothing for weight loss. I have been going on the bike, three short stints per day. Same thing, as soon as I start getting anywhere, my muscles seize. I can't swim because I am phobic of the pool.

I desperately want to get my physical health in order. I am trying SOOOO hard to do the right things but it is so frustrating. My physio is finished and I am seeing GP next week (hoping for referral to orthopoedics) but any ideas gratefully recieved.

Comments

• Juliew
    Juliew Member Posts: 58
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hippy wrote:
    So I have wear and tear/OA in my knees. I have been doing my physio, my knee is much stronger. However, I am still having a lot of related/unrelated? problems with my muscles.

I am overweight. About 3 stone. I know this is not good for my knees. I have tried soooo hard to lose weight. I am eating a healthy diet and have been for months. I lost about 5 lbs, half a pound a week but nothing for the last month. I have been trying really hard to exercise but as soon as I try to up the pace (I have been walking) my muscles seize (not cramp, they literally feel like they are being pulled apart) up, so I can only walk REALLY slowly. This does not increase my heart rate, so does nothing for weight loss. I have been going on the bike, three short stints per day. Same thing, as soon as I start getting anywhere, my muscles seize. I can't swim because I am phobic of the pool.

I desperately want to get my physical health in order. I am trying SOOOO hard to do the right things but it is so frustrating. My physio is finished and I am seeing GP next week (hoping for referral to orthopoedics) but any ideas gratefully recieved.
    Hi hippy and welcome. Ive joined weight watchers and have lost 2 stone so far, I started going the end of April last year. I don't do much exercise cos I have osteoarthritis on my hip it's difficult but I'm on my feet 8 hours a day at work. I think if you go to your gp they can put you forward for watchers or slimming world and you get it free for 3 months, you might want to get confirmation of that though. Hope this helps
    Julie

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
  • hippy
    Thanks Julie, I don't know about SW or WW....the phobia I mentioned re swimming, is social phobia. I get anxious in lots of situations. However, it does go through peaks and troughts so I could try to get along when I am feeling better.
    I am going to ask GP about weight loss though. Hoping that he can help me with it somehow.
  • Juliew
    Juliew Member Posts: 58
    hippy wrote:
    Thanks Julie, I don't know about SW or WW....the phobia I mentioned re swimming, is social phobia. I get anxious in lots of situations. However, it does go through peaks and troughts so I could try to get along when I am feeling better.
    I am going to ask GP about weight loss though. Hoping that he can help me with it somehow.
    Ok sorry. Hopefully the gp can help you
    I hope things get sorted for you

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Weight Watchers has membership by phone/post, and probably online membership these days. You get get all the diet tips and hints and access to someone to answer questions, without all the razzmatazz of meetings, which frankly I can't stand and don't find remotely helpful. Might be worth a try.
  • lynnemarie1123
    lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
    Hi, I feel your pain. I too am in a similar situation with exercise and weight loss. I have been a member of weight watchers for years and currently10 pounds over my goal. Weight watchers can be done on line so no need to attend class. Or there are quiet classes around ( day time ones). A word to your leader will ensure that they don't speak to you in class. I honestly think that attending classes for suppport is beneficial to me. However I'm sure you'll find your own way of achieving your goal. Good luck xx
  • Rach101
    Rach101 Member Posts: 165
    Hi Hippy, I can also relate to your frustration as I need to lose about 2 stone and have been desperate to do so as I'm sure it will help my joints a little. However, I've been eating 1200 calories a day and for the last 3 weeks I haven't even lost half a pound! I've been doing a bit of swimming and walking and yoga but nothing I do makes a difference. I'm eating 'clean' and feel I'm doing everything I can but not getting anywhere at all! I am on steroids at the moment so I'm not sure if that has an impact but I did read somewhere that it only affects weight if you eat more due to increased appetite and I know I'm not eating too much as I'm religiously weighing out everything I eat! Sorry I can't be of any actual help, but do know that you're not alone, and if you do find something that works please share!
    Take care Rach xx
  • Rach101
    Hi Grace, thanks for your encouraging reply. I did try SW many years ago but didn't manage to lose weight on it. I assumed that was because I ate too many free foods but maybe that's not the case if it is working well for you. I will have another look at it as it may have changed over the past ten years!
    Rach xx
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Hippy, I think it might help you to join something like WW or SW. Exercise won't help you to lose very much weight, only a little bit. As your muscles tone up, you will use up more calories so lose a little more. Exercise is, however, very good for the joints, although I understand how difficult it is when you are in pain. Diet is the main way to lose weight. WW or SW would help you to work out what you should eat to lose weight.

Rach, it sounds as if maybe you aren't eating enough calories. Around 2000 calories is an average amount for a female (it does depend how much you weigh) and it is best to cut out 500 calories a day (maybe eating 250 calories less and losing 250 in exercise). If you are eating too little, your body will think you are starving it and will not burn the calories. Try eating a little bit more.
    Christine
  • TrishaW
    TrishaW Member Posts: 109
    It's so frustrating isn't it? However I watched a tv programme (a medical one) on this subject where they had armchair type exercises plus other exercises that 'unfit' people could do to build up their muscles/stamina etc. Having been lying about recovering from foot surgery I was very out of condition so basically started with the exercises for elderly people...very gentle. Then I progressed to doing a sequence of exercises every time an advert came on tv (such as standing up and sitting down not pushing up with your arms but using your leg muscles) I also added an extra walk a day so I went for one during the day then another in the evening...just round the block at first but adding a few 'lamposts' each time. This all added up to get my muscles stronger and improve my mood. Now I can do much more and feel more energetic and have lost weight (I also did the 5:2 diet for my weight) Maybe google armchair exercises or something similar? Good luck!
  • ruthvictoria71
    ruthvictoria71 Member Posts: 13
    I've joined the local toning tables places. Its like a non impact gym and is great for people like us who struggle with 'normal' exercise. I've lost nearly 3kg since mid January and my joints feel better too x

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
  • palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    hi,

I have been on steriods for 18 years, some at high dosage levels and have not been able to exercise for a lot of that time being too unwell.

My weight has obviously fluctuated considerably during that time, but in between in good spells I have managed to lose weight.

The secret if there is one is to do more activity and eat less. How does that translate into the real world? Strength training can be done sitting in a chair, that builds up muscles which burn more fat.

Eat small regular meals, never 3 large meals say 5-6 much smaller ones to keep the digestion working. Try to vary your eating times and what you eat so your body does not get used to it.

I have found that walking requires a great deal of time to burn any calories and is not something I can manage. But I can do 20 mins strength training relatively regularly.

The other exercises that give a quick return in calorie burn is rowing ( I have a rowing machine and stationary bike - the latter is too hard on my knees) I have tried hula hooping and skipping but have found that is too hard on my knees too but they also burn a lot of calories in a short time. I can manage 20 mins rowing and burn 150 calories.

Good luck, I need to follow my own advice but am trying to reduce my steriods so not exercising at the moment until things settle down, I tend to relapse if I am not careful.
  • Fiona88
    Fiona88 Member Posts: 8
    I'm doing weightwatchers at home and have managed to lose 3stone , I created an Instagram account (so many people on there doing the same ) and it's been great . There is a huge community who are so supportive , it's been great . I've still got s long way to go and when I've got a flare I still want to stuff my face but I'm getting there [emoji4][emoji106], wishing you all the best

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • DewdBro
    DewdBro Member Posts: 15
    As others may have mentioned by now, losing weight has little to do with working out. Research shows it's 80% diet and 20% exercise.
  • Rach101
    Hello again! Well I joined SW and have lost 4lbs in the last 3 weeks which I'm really pleased with so I guess it's not impossible! I'm finding it an easy way to eat, I tried doing it on my own before so didn't have all the info and didn't do it properly. Ive realised Ive now lost a stone since October so although it's taken 6 months I guess Ive realised I just have to stick with it. It may be slow but I'll get there in the end! I'm actually back to my pre arthritis weight which is fab! (Tho still overweight!). I can't exercise much at the mo as it's using all my energy to go to work but I managed to put on weight while training for a marathon while I was well so exercise doesn't have much of an impact on weight loss in my experience, it's all about the food!

Rach xx
  • hippy
    Well, I am putting the weight loss on the back burner for now. Too many other things to think about. It is interesting that some of you have found you could lose weight without the exercise. I have lost weight before but I have always had to up my activity levels, quite considerably.
  • palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    Hi hippy,

I used to be able to lose weight without exercise, but not since I have been on steriods. I think your body gets used to you dieting and you have to keep changing it up to get the same results and it gets harder as you get older and each time you diet again.

I have been dieting on and off for over 30 years and it is much tougher each time. I am currently about 4 lbs overweight, but can't diet at the moment as I am trying to reduce my steriods again.

It takes a considerable amount of effort and hard work for me to succeed each time, my average weight loss is approx 1 lb a month, despite everything, but I just have to keep going month after month.

Building muscle will increase your fat burning so I strongly recommend that.

Good luck.