A New Voting Experience

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 9. May 2017, 09:04 in Community Chit-chat archive
Our first vote in Scotland with the Single Transferable Vote. Surely it has to be much better system?

Admittedly, of our 8 -9 candidates, only three had delivered literature but I guess that made selection easier. I voted for three people and Mr SW for four.

Interesting.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That is such a good idea SW...must say I had notice we didn't get any canvassers or literature..very strange... :o
    Love
    Barbara
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    We didn't have any canvassers round, maybe the cost puts them off or they know they will get a good arguement when knocking on my door? I never let the people sitting outside the election post see my election card and so add me to their data collection.

At least the present first past the post system allows a strong leadership position, I'm not one for coalitions and 'committee' decisions.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    At least the present first past the post system allows a strong leadership position, I'm not one for coalitions and 'committee' decisions.
    Which is OK if the brand in power is what you voted for, but it does leave a great many voters(the majority in many/most cases) with varying degrees of unsatisfactory representation - hardly the way to deal with disengagement and distrust. I prefer that those wielding power are rigorously challenged and made to justify their decisions, and that can't happen properly where simple force of numbers can carry the day.
  • Airwave!
    Yes, I can see that arguem(ent quite clearly and often agree with the sentiment however I often find myself on the minority side when its me that was feeling disgruntled and I have accepted that this was democracy in its finest format, just because someone else isn't getting their way doesn't mean democracy isn't working still.

I am often reminded of other countries having numerous elections, often unable to form coalitions because they can't agree a basis, at the end of the day our system may not be perfect but it works. If a party has a strong movement then it wins. I didn't enjoy three election wins by Labour but thats democracy.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    It's the size of the discrepancy I don't like - getting a third of the votes and ending up with two-thirds or three quarters of the MPs doesn't seem equitable, and makes it much harder to put forward alternative views(or prevent avoidable mistakes!)
    However, it is what it is, and I know that we can't get political on here.
  • Airwave!
    I think any new voting system should be significantly better to successfully take the place of what we have. Take heart and remember our newspapers, newsprograms and journalists, they seem to have taken on the mantle of the nations watchdogs, not for the first time either. No politician can move without it being reported on.

I'm afraid that the parliamentry opposition are very good at choosing the wrong leader, however well intentioned.
  • stickywicket
    I agree with daffy that the first past the post system is simply inequitable. A strong government isn't an unchallenged one (That's a dictatorship) but one that is, as daffy says, made to justify their decisions. Germany seems to do very well on proportional representation.

As for the media being 'watchdogs'. I'd say more 'pitbulls' these days. Much of the media, instead of reporting on news, drives it. They have more power than parliament and fewer checks and balances. And, even when they apologise after the event, the damage has already been done. How many people, in the UK, still believe that the EU banned 'bent bananas'?

None of my preferred candidates got in but that's OK. I'm still learning all about local government here so perhaps that was a good thing :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    One undeniable benefit of First Past the Post, for which I, as a minority, am exceedingly grateful for is that extremist views are not allowed in to policy and legislation making.

The UK is much admired for its liberal views and free society, which many countries in the world just do not have.

We are so quick to criticise we forget how lucky we are - living standards are so good that many other cultures want them - although they fail to understand the sacrifice made to achieve them and seem to believe that all of that can be bypassed.

I am very lucky to have lived here since 1968 and feel you really should bang the drum about your culture much more and not allow it to be swallowed or compromised up by others less tolerant.
  • Airwave!
    Thank you palo, we do not 'bang our drum' very often. A thousand years of being ourselves gives us the belief that we don't need to argue with people to prove a point!
  • palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    Airwave! wrote:
    Thank you palo, we do not 'bang our drum' very often. A thousand years of being ourselves gives us the belief that we don't need to argue with people to prove a point!

and that is precisely why the British, especially the English are marginalised by others, you only have to look at the Americans and how strident they are with far less to be proud of..
  • stickywicket
    palo wrote:
    One undeniable benefit of First Past the Post, for which I, as a minority, am exceedingly grateful for is that extremist views are not allowed in to policy and legislation making.

I think that's a very valid point. We have some good checks and balances.

As a nation I think we are, generally, tolerant but, as for not 'banging our own drum', I think part of that stems from our innate arrogance of 'knowing' we're superior so not feeling the need to prove it :wink:
    Steven Wright