Ants.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 13. May 2017, 11:33 in Community Chit-chat archive
For the first time since we moved to No.10 these wee beasties are appearing in the kitchen, not in their hordes but enough to be noticed, and they seem to prefer the part of the island which houses the dishwasher and sink. Earlier today I ran a cleaning cycle on the dishwasher and, once it was done, I opened the door to release the heat and five ants cheerily emerged - admittedly from around the housing but even so . . . .

Things are very dry here in East Anglia so might this explain their investigating the damper areas of life indoors? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I hate ants. They regard it as their territory and it is hard to evict them.

I'll never forget one house I lived in and the ants decided to move house. They proceeded to walk through our through lounge, from one side of the room to the other, over the carpet, with their young and grubs etc.

Was I glad when we moved out of that house!!

Good luck
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    I bought some liquid from B&Q. Just the odd drop here and there.
    It only takes one ant to take it back to their nest and they are gone for good.
  • palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    I morally have a problem with killing animals, including ants - hubby is ok with it though.....
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I googled 'get rid of ants' on your behalf and a whole host of sites and remedies came up. Most seemed to require lots of work and energy and would leave your home smelling like a chippy crossed with a curry house. Good luck :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Our ants had a nest outside under the paving slabs, I stuck the gas powered weed wand over the nest for a few minutes, no problem since. A hot air gun or similar will work.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I don't have the boy toys, Airwave, and Ron, yes, I have the chemicals but they are not stemming the flow (the cold weather, however, is). My Ma was a firm believer in a boiling kettle of water being poured into the nest but we are lacking nests! I hope that by squashing the incomers the others will realise that whoever they sent out isn't coming back. Thank you Sticky, that was kind of you. Palo, I admire your principles but I tend more towards your husband's way of thinking.

I don't think that ants spread disease but, being immuno-suppressed I don't want to take any chances. Thinking of spreading disease we were sitting up in bed at 5am this morning, having a cup of tea, when Bre'r Fox came casually strolling along our secluded urban garden: our neighbour has chickens so I've let him know that at least one is hanging around; he's on his third set of chickens since we moved in. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben