new would like tips to help with osteoarthritis in my hips

Jazzyjo
Jazzyjo Member Posts: 8
edited 19. May 2017, 16:07 in Say Hello Archive
Hello I'm new to this sort of thing I'm 42 and was told by my doctor last year I have server osteoarthritis I was so upset I'm hoping I can speak with other to get tips look forward to chatting with u :-) :-)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Jazzyjo and of course you can 'speak with others who have OA in hips and elsewhere. Just join in anywhere – Living With Arthritis is your best bet. Here are lots on here who have OA in their hips. I'm one of the lucky ones who got new hips so I don't any more
    :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Jazzyjo
    Hello Jazzyjo and of course you can 'speak with others who have OA in hips and elsewhere. Just join in anywhere – Living With Arthritis is your best bet. Here are lots on here who have OA in their hips. I'm one of the lucky ones who got new hips so I don't any more
    :D
    [/quote
    Hi sticky wicket
    Wow new hipsite do you mind me asking how old you are ☺as I was told I'm to young to have it done but it's spoilng my life I feel really awful some days and my back and neck really hurt I think my posture is all wrong due to the hip it's my right hip that I have server osteoarthritis and it's starting in my left him aswell . Sorry to go on and thasks for saying hello 😊
  • Jazzyjo
    Hi wow new hips do you mind me asking how old you are as I've been told I'm to young to have it done . I have it severely in my right hip and my left him aswell but my left hip isn't as bad .I've found my back neck really hurt at the moment and I'm thinking it could be to do with my posture not been right . Well I'm very happy you have new hips bet you feel like new ☺☺☺
  • stickywicket
    I'm 71 but that's kind of irrelevant. I've had RA since I was 15. The first hip just broke and I was referred for the second when I could literally hardly stand up. They've both lasted brilliantly but then I don't put them under undue pressure and I do ensure the joints stay strong by exercising them and eating healthily.

The reason why they don't like to give people new ones too soon is because they wear out and a second replacement is a bigger op with more potential for ongoing problems.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the hip pain is affecting your posture and so leading to pain elsewhere. That's very common. Could you ask to see a physio for some exercises for your back and neck - and hips? As a start you could look in Arthritis Care's booklet on exercise. It really does help.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Jazzyjo
    I had my first hip replacement at 38 and my other hip at 53, my consultant has always made his decision for replacement on clinical evidence, so x-rays and me explaining how much it is affecting my life. Best thing I ever had done was new hips.
    I hope your hips aren't giving you too many problems today, don't forget we have a great helpline if you would like to talk things through, you can phone them on 0808 800 4050
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • Jazzyjo
    Hi sticky wicket

I have actually been to the doctors today and I've been given a number to self refer . Which I have done already so got to wait on a call back tomorrow afternoon from physio and told to take painkillers to help with the pain .I go swimming and do a lot of walking . I used to do a lot of running but not now 😕 aww wow 15 years old that was very young well I'm glad your new hips are been good to you take care ☺
  • Jazzyjo
    Aww thank you Sharon 38 wow that's young well I'm glad your doctor was better than mine .I can't even bend to fasten my own shoe on my right it's embarrassing when I want to try shoes on in a shop and I have to ask the assistant to help me .I feel very low sometimes as I'm used to been so independent and asking for help is something I don't like doing 😕 Its also upsetting me when people are saying to me Oh your limping . Well I hope tomorrow's phone call from the pyshio is an opening to some help and support as I really don't want to be taking painkillers i like to try natural remedies thanks for message ☺
  • stickywicket
    The exercise is / was good but I'm glad you've stopped running. That does put pressure on joints.

Great, too, that you've already sorted the physio. I hope it comes quickly and helps.

A little tip - if the physio is some weeks away you can often get in quicker by saying you'll take a cancellation ie be available at short notice.
    Steven Wright
  • Jazzyjo
    Hi I've had a call from physio today and I'm going to see him on 30th may so not to long was really helpful :-)
  • stickywicket
    :D Good. Do let's know how you get on.
    Steven Wright
  • Jazzyjo
    I will do . Thank you for messaging :-)