Help with inadvertant sun-heat.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 27. May 2017, 06:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
When doing my on-line shop with the orange-themed supermarket I added the usual pots of aqueous cream (we both use it in the shower: stop sniggering, those days are long gone :| ) and a hint appeared concerning aqueous cream with a touch of calamine lotion.

I looked and, for various reasons, ordered: I am so pleased I did.

Yesterday I had lunch with a friend who has RA and also takes, injected meth. Because the weather was so lovely we jointly decided to sit on the patio because we were shaded by a very large umbrella. Lunch progressed (as did the sun), not once was I in its direct line but come the evening my face, the back of my neck and forearms were feeling the sting of the sun's heat. (This despite my applying a 30 factor sunscreen before I went.) Even The Spouse noticed a certain facial redness. :shock:

Inspiration struck - I applied the new cream and it definitely eased the heat and sting. I remember calamine lotion from childhood, it was pale pink, the bottle required vigorous shaking, it was applied with cotton wool and rendered my already dry skin far too chalky so it was never a favourite but, of course, things have moved on and improved. I wish I could. :wink: DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'll remember that. Thanks, DD.

Mind you, we always have After Sun (I almost typed 'After Sin' :shock: :lol::mrgreen: ) in our house as Mr SW does tend to forget how long he can stay out in it.

I, too, recall the original Calamine – two minutes of soothing coolth and then half an hour of dry itching until I'd picked it all off.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    That cream you mention is great. My daughter reccomended it to me last year, her dr suggested it when one of her children got chicken pox. I have a tube now.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I've often wondered about the after sun stuff but (maybe erroneously) concluded it was a rip-off so never invested. I've erred on the side of caution today, the sun has been extremely powerful so, apart from watering the garden early this morning and now, I've stayed indoors. Oh the joys of summer. :roll:

I'll keep a tube of this handy, he's a great sun-worshipper and pretty good about applying sunscreen but even so he can push his luck . . . . . DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    The after sun I like is the kind that has an insect repellent in.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    I've just come back from glorious days in the Lake District.
    It has just struck me...... I dont sit out in the sun but we were out every day, me on my scooter etc. I'm going to end up up with 1 arm tanned and the other one white :?
    The right arm is covered in a sling from having a full replacement shoulder :lol::lol:
    Oh well At least I've had my full dose of Vit D :wink:

Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    I'm going to get me some of that it sounds great and Mr Frogmorton is very like Mr Stickywicket 'forgets' his lotion :roll:

Mostly I am going to take some and leave it for a neighbour who has, (after 44 years of teaching and more of being on this planet), contracted chicken pox.

She is suffering :(

Love and thanks for a good tip

Toni xxx
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Good old zinc oxide! There had been a move away from it but fortunately research put facts onto what a lot of us already knew, that it is a very useful thing to have. In fact calamine lotion is on the WHO list of essential medicines.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    frogmorton wrote:
    Mostly I am going to take some and leave it for a neighbour who has, (after 44 years of teaching and more of being on this planet), contracted chicken pox.

Oh poor woman!

Mr SW got it from one of our boys when they were young (and he wasn't). I recall he spent about three days lying in baths of cold water.

My Californian grandson had to be vaccinated (inoculated?) against the usual childhood suspects before being allowed to start school.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright