Can methotrexate cause missed period?

Poodlekid
Poodlekid Member Posts: 4
edited 8. Jul 2017, 06:05 in Say Hello Archive
I have never been on any forum for anything before so I hope I have put this in right! But I dont have any other way to find out. Can methotrexate cause a missed period? I have been on it a few months so suspect it to be cause although it was not listed among the other many side effects. What are the implications (e.g. does the womb lining thicken & cause problems?). I am seeing my consultant thursday & want to make sure I ask any questions I need to but honestly have no idea what to ask!!! I have done test to check not the other obvious (but unlikely) reason & I am oftrn early but never late so seems likely to be medication. At 40 & no plans for more kids I am happy to never have another period! but I dont want any extra illness as RA is enough!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello
    Welcome to the forums. I am sure you will find help, advice, answers to your questions and friendship. There are several people on here that are on methotrexate and they may be able to advise you. The best section to go on to is "Living with arthritis" as this is the one many people use. Post your question on there again and people will be able to answer you and hopefully your query.
    Here is a link to a previous thread about the same issue that you might find useful https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42690&view=next
    Also here is a link to the side effects of Methotrexate but missing periods does not seem to be mentioned http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/drugs/methotrexate/what-it-is.aspx
    I am a member of the moderation team and we all have one or more of the arthritis hanger's on or look after family members with the same.
    Best Wishes
    ChrisK
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello and welcome, Poodlekid.

I've been taking meth for years but was over the menopause when I started it. I know we have had one or two people on here before asking questions like yours and I'm fairly sure it can, occasionally, disrupt the menstrual cycle (rather than causing 'a missed period').

As you're seeing your consultant they would definitely be the best person to ask about this but what you ask will depend entirely on what you want to know. In your shoes I think I'd simply want to know if the meth was a likely culprit and, if so, was it something I needed to be concerned about or not. I know it can be hard to work out what questions we want to ask and sometimes there are no clear-cut answers. This former thread might help a little
    https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=40217&p=531884&hilit=menstrual+cycle+methotrexate#p531884

Please let us know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Poodlekid
    Poodlekid Member Posts: 4
    My consultant was great. She said she had never heard of it causing that problem before but then immediately looked it up in a book & said it can cause menstrual disturbance. Problem has now thankfully resolved itself but so impressed with my consultant that she was so quick to believe me & listen to me.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    A good result and thanks for the update.

I always have a lot of confidence in docs who are willing to say "I don't know" and look things up.

I hope things are more settled for you now.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright