Claw hand

stremlett
stremlett Member Posts: 37
edited 2. Jul 2017, 16:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was at the hand clinic last week re my upcoming carpal tunnel surgery and I asked the consultant about the 'clawing' of my hands. DreamDaisy had suggested it could be Depuytrens syndrome when I was moaning about it here last month. Well done DD, you are right! He said they don't treat it anymore and my only thing to do would be exercise. I have been exercising my hands like a mad women since my hands have osteo, carpel tunnel, wrist swelling, grip weakness etc.

I did google it (I know, I know) and there seem to be treatments out there. I have so many health matters coming to a head this year that I hesitate to push this with my gp. At the same time I'm worried about losing use of my hands if I ignore it. Any one know anything about this? SueT

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Mr SW had/has Dupuytrens in his little finger. He was told there are two 'ops' but it does return. They can either nick the taut tendon or go into the palm and do something else but it's likely to return anyway. He had his tendon nicked 2-3 years ago. It's starting to bend again now.

The thing is, he only has this so I guess it was worth a go. All my fingers are bent in with RA so presumably, if it's hardly worth it for him, it's definitely not worth it for us :roll: I just keep exercising them to keep them as strong as possible.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Sorry I can offer any advice but just want to welcome you to the forum..glad you have at least a diagnoses with DDs help..
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    Yes I have it as well
    My 2 middle fingers were bending in. Doctor noticed this a few years ago.
    I asked what could be done about it. He said nothing much until they really started bending in and almost touching the palm of my hand. Then there was an operation they could do. They haven't bent any further in the last years so its not bothering me so I wont bother them :lol:
    I've had enough operations recently

Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    My MIL (well the ex-one!) has had steroid injections in hers a few times with very good success.

I don't know whether you'd be able to ask your GP? Even if you have had a lot going on recently.

Love

Toni xx
  • stremlett
    stremlett Member Posts: 37
    Thank you for your help everyone. Things have moved on in that following the physio assessment (nobody told me that I had to self refer so I am six months late having the assessment). The physio wrote to my GP in quite sharp terms asking her to change my treatment and to send me back to the rheumatologist. He phoned me yesterday to ask if I had been called in to the surgery. I had not and he was dismayed, I don't want him to annoy my GP in case she gets upset with me. He also got me a fast appointment with OT and they are treating the dupuytrens with a splint. The OT lady is concerned about my knee problems which affect my mobility and and is also going to refer me for physio for my frozen shoulders. She is also ordering a home OT visit. The physio boss and the OT lady have been so kind that it was hard not to cry.

I have my first Carpal Tunnel surgery on Monday. Once this raft of stuff calms down I shall move to a different surgery I think.

May everyone have the nicest day that they can!! Sue T

PS my joy at using speechnotes isn't as great as it was since I sent a message saying that I was going to the pool for a little genital exercise... MMmmm
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    :o:lol::lol::lol:

Oh Sue, that's priceless.

I'm glad things are on the move for you. It's good that everyone is so kind and I think it's a good plan (a) to change GPs and (b) to wait until life is a bit calmer.

Good luck with the carpal tunnel.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

now THAT was funny (made sure I spelt the last word correctly :wink:

You do indeed sound to have a sensible plan there Sue.

Love

Toni xx
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    PS my joy at using speechnotes isn't as great as it was since I sent a message saying that I was going to the pool for a little genital exercise... MMmmm
    Wishful thinking???!!!
    A private pool is certainly the stuff of dreams for many....
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello! I apologise for my late response to your update but I have been away and, to be honest, reacting to forum news was somewhat distant from my mind.

Thanks to my excellent diagnosis of your hand troubles I am now considering going into full-time medicine. :wink: I hope that things are becoming easier for you and I had to smile at the 'error' - my late mother proudly informed relatives that I was going in for a double 'carnal' tunnel operation. I don't think so. :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben