Is there a search function on this forum?

ship69
ship69 Member Posts: 22
Hello

Is there a search function on this forum?
If so where to I find it?
e.g. I'd like to see all my posts!
Cheers

J

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    J I'm not helpline, but saw this...the search button is almost at the tope of the page in light blue on the right underneath 'About us'.

Hope this helps.

Toni xx
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    If it's seeing your posts you want then you could try 'User Control Panel' on the same light blue bar to the left of the 'Search' next to Login/Logout. Under the message box there is information about how many posts you've made, which areas you use most etc, and a button for viewing all your posts. I haven't had occasion to use it but I assume it just lists in date order.
  • daffy2
    I've just tried it and yes it is in date order, but the list is of the threads you've posted on so looks a bit like the individual forum board lists, but edited. Should still make it easier to track down what you've posted and what the replies have been.
  • ship69
    I am wondering if maybe my account has had the search function removed, possibly because I am new??

vrI4TQG.jpg

IhHXZqo.jpg

With thanks

J
  • ship69
    Attn Sharon Kilty (AKA "webmanager" )
    Digital Community Engagement Officer

Dear Sharon

In your private message to me you say:

> Firstly let me say that you can respond to private messages by
    > clicking on "respond to message" which you will find in the bottom
    > right-hand corner of this message.

No. I'm afraid that I can't see any button called "respond to message".

Here is a screenshot.

itb6il7.jpg

For this reason, I am being forced to reply to your PM here.
    With thanks

J
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi John,
    thank you for the screen grab, and as I have explained to you in an email, you are right and I apologise, when you are in the new users group on our forum you do not have the capacity to send private messages, this is due to the fact that in the past our forum members were spam messaged and this caused a great deal of upset within the community.
    This also means that you're presently not able to search all of your posts individually, however if you email me and let me know which posts you would like to look at I will search them for you and email links back to you. Unfortunately our forum is presently little clunky and we are constrained by the software platform that we use, however we do our best to accommodate everybody as best we can.
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • ship69
    moderator wrote:
    Hi John,
    thank you for the screen grab, and as I have explained to you in an email, you are right and I apologise, when you are in the new users group on our forum you do not have the capacity to send private messages, this is due to the fact that in the past our forum members were spam messaged and this caused a great deal of upset within the community.
    This also means that you're presently not able to search all of your posts individually, however if you email me and let me know which posts you would like to look at I will search them for you and email links back to you. Unfortunately our forum is presently little clunky and we are constrained by the software platform that we use, however we do our best to accommodate everybody as best we can.
    Best Wishes
    Sharon

I don't want to put anyone to any trouble, but it seems a little excessive that even after I have been sent a private message I still can't reply. Likewise not having the ability to even search on the forum seems pretty unhelpful.

Surely the modern way to deal with spammers is to have some form of "are you a human" Captcha to stop spambots and kick them out any humans as soon as they misbehave.

The way things are at present feels pretty unfriendly to new members.

J
  • daffy2
    Hi John
    Just wanted to say sorry if you are finding this all a bit frustrating, but it does have a positive side for other forum users. I now know how to search my previous posts so thank you, and we also now know that the initial restrictions on new members' use of the forum facilities extend to that search facility.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi John
    we do indeed have software to catch bots but sadly we also have human spammers, hence the holding of new members. It may not seem friendly but we have never had anyone consider it to be an issue before, however your comments are noted and I will look into other options in the light of your feedback.
    However this is the system we have for now so please email me if you have any further issues and I will do my best to resolve them for you
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    The current regime might seem like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut but we have to remember that AC is a charity and not one of the big 'glamorous' ones. The Moderators are all volunteers and they do a terrific job.

I was here in the bad old days and, believe me, they were bad. At one time we had a spate of 'kitchen threads' and, every morning the forums were full of them. We also had the trolls and people targeting us personally with PMs. Depending on the nature of the PM, they could be very upsetting and / or confusing for some. There were the snake oil salespeople, the 'researchers' etc etc. All the usual low life.

I guess it must be difficult and feel frustrating when you first join, and maybe these restrictions could be spelled out to newcomers, but I don't think they last long.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    I remember the kitchen era - we became very creative in our posts didn't we Sticky?
    In terms of delays for new members, it could be worse John. Another health charity forum I used to belong to also had a policy of moderating the first few posts( I think it is pretty standard), but lack of people to do the moderating and apparent lack of interest and competence meant that towards the end of its existence newbies were left in limbo for considerable periods( and so effectively got 'lost' in some cases) and any attempt to find out what was going on were stymied by poor response to emails.