Socks!!!!

Mart042
Mart042 Member Posts: 13
edited 2. Jul 2017, 08:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Got really annoyed this morning. I had a hip replacement a little over 5 weeks ago. As the weather has been so nice I've been wearing shorts and not wearing socks.

Had to go out this morning so thought I'd put socks on. I just couldn't get the sock on on the op side and got really upset with myself. Sad but there you go.

Anybody know how long it usually takes before I can safely manage what used to be a simple task?

Thanks

Comments

• Juliew
    Juliew Member Posts: 58
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I had a THR just under 3 weeks ago, I was told about 3 months post op I should be able to put my sock on the op side maybe a little longer.

I'm still wearing my op stockings and was told I have to wear them for about 6 weeks, they have been murder in this weather

I haven't been able to put my own sock on for about 8/9 years so am keen to be able to do it myself, how long has been since you were able to do your own sock?

Julie

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Please, don't even think of trying at this stage. You risk dislocating your new hip.

http://tinyurl.com/yavatol2
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    Are you wearing what I called "the passion killers" those awful white things? Those were a necessary for 6 weeks. You will find a lot of us have had different advice about that.
    As for putting your socks on......no way. Have you no one that will help you? My husband put mine on for me for a long time. Better that than chancing a dislocation :roll:

Love
    Hileena
  • Wobbly
    Wobbly Member Posts: 58
    Dont you have a sock putter oner thing?? I couldnt be without mine its a great piece of kit amazon abt £5. Dont worry you'll soon be doing it yourself - the old fashioned way with both ya hands ha ha xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Google Sock putter onner!

Some can do their socks with their pick up sticks too :shock:

Hope you cut your toenails pre-op :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • Mart042
    Mart042 Member Posts: 13
    I never had any stockings so I think I dodged a bullet there.

i never got a sock putter onner !!! Due to the weather i just haven't bothered with socks until the other day and then realised how much recovery was still to be done.

I daren't talk about toe nails. The missus had to cut them on my op side yesterday. As well as drawing blood it led to World War 3 :lol:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Oh dear.....that what I was worried about :shock:

Have you got a grabber? If so some can put their socks on with them....worth a try? :?

I remember my girls (5 and 8) helping me with my socks and getting other items up to my knees after back surgery, so you have my sympathy.

Toni xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    :lol: I'm so with you re WW3. Mr SW has to cut any of my toenails which grow before the podiatrist's next visit and it's soooo scary, especially as he has to take off his glasses to do it :shock:

The pressure stockings depend on the surgeon. Mine doesn't use them. He uses those machines that squeeze your legs while in bed instead.

You really should have been given a sock aid by OT before you came home, though. Was this NHS or private? I've always had an OT round round before being allowed home.

The sock aids can be bought cheaply on the net.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright