Pompholyx

Brutha
Brutha Member Posts: 51
edited 23. Jul 2017, 12:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello again.

Is there a link between pompholyx and arthritis? I searched and saw a few posts on this. I ask because I have this problem now as well as the others. And it seems to be worse when the arthritis (which has been quite manageable for 6 months or so) starts to nibble back at me a bit.

Thanks for reading
Mark

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello again, Mark :D

I'd not actually heard of pompholyx but I see that it's a form of eczema. Eczema, like most forms of arthritis other than OA, is an autoimmune disease so that's a connection. I guess, if the immunosuppressants are not holding back one disease, there could well be a knock-on effect with the other. I'd mention it to your rheumatologist next visit.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Hi Mark, I have had pompholyx for some years now, come to think about it, as my OA has progressed, so has the pomph. It can lay quiet for some time, then all of a sudden the little blisters will appear, on hands, and or feet. They can be very sore, itchy etc. I have had up to 5 blisters appear, within an hour, on my feet, very strange.

I try and keep a lid on it with cloboderm and diprobase, from my GP. He says it is quite common, moreso in children. Obviously I am reverting to my childhood. The creams do help. I find some cleaning products can set it off, especially the ones that remove limescale.

I would not be surprised to see that there is a link between the two.

XX Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    I have also had it over the years, but the first flare up of it was when I was being initially treated for my inflammatory arthritis so who knows?

Is eczema autoimmune?? :?

I usually at all times have one or two of the little blisters on my hands, but only occasionally do they get really bad. (I was going to say out of hand :oops: ).

Toni xx
  • Brutha
    Brutha Member Posts: 51
    Thanks for the replies. It's quite itchy isn't it? I have some dermovate cream prescribed, so hopefully that'll help.

I have one side of a finger that isn't sure if it wants to join in or not. One hour its nice and smooth, the next it has a dozen bumps on its. Odd!

Mark
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Brutha wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. It's quite itchy isn't it? I have some dermovate cream prescribed, so hopefully that'll help.

I have one side of a finger that isn't sure if it wants to join in or not. One hour its nice and smooth, the next it has a dozen bumps on its. Odd!

Mark

It certainly can be itchy Mark and as you say here today, then gone in a few days. The little lumps lurk under the skin surface, there seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to when or where they decide to pop up.

It is a form of eczema Toni, there is also a common link between eczema in the family.

Dermovate is the same as cloboderm and does seem to be the cream of choice. In between times, I try and use diprobase at least twice a day. You can buy that from the chemist, or get it on prescription.

It is more common in people under the age of 40, which means I am only 39, hoorah :lol:
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I was born with eczema and developed psoriasis in later life - both skin conditions are auto-immune in nature, the eczema came from my mum's family and the psoriasis from my dad - in my case Philip Larkin was right on the money.

I am aware of dietary influences re the eczema (although that has reduced considerably thanks to the immuno-suppressant meds) but my psoriasis remains aloof to such medical meddling. I have always worn rubber gloves when using cleaning materials but I am now experimenting with using more natural substances in place of the harsh chemicals which seem to be so commonplace nowadays: gloves, however, will still be worn. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • WhaleRoad
    WhaleRoad Member Posts: 32
    Hi. I have had a few bouts of it on the sides of my fingers since developing inflammatory arthritis but not sure if there's a connection. Pustular psoriasis can look similar, which is of course potentially related to inflammatory arthritis. Have you had it looked at?