End of an era

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 8. Jul 2017, 05:02 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well, some of you may recall I've been tearing my hair out trying to get my late Mum's house sold following her passing last October.

Two weeks ago, and following yet more delays from the buyer, we issued an ultimatum. If he didn't complete by this Friday the house would go back on the market. Since then I've had to daily chase the estate agents.

Our buyer offered on the house second week of April, he is a first time buyer and there is no chain. He said he wanted to get in asap and agreed to a completion date end May. Naturally, that came and went, as did the entire month of June!

I had a call this morning from our solicitor to say the buyer is wishing to exchange and complete together on Friday this week. I agreed to this. I honestly don't know whether to be pleased, relieved or sit here in disbelief. :roll: I've asked our solicitor to ring me on Friday when completion happens.

But, this house has been in our family since my brother was 4 (he'll be 51 in August) so it's a long time. It's seen myself and my siblings grow up, my sibling's children have grown up and now their children are here. For so many years No. 36 has been a focal point for the family. We gathered there to celebrate good times, to support one another through bad times but, above all else, it was where I grew up.

So, Friday morning I have to make that "last visit". My "goodbye" visit. Once I've read the meters - which will be a challenge in itself as the gas meter is on the floor! - I'll then be able to spend a little time there. Walking out of that door for the last time and pushing keys through the letterbox is going to be so, so hard. I know it has to be done, and I've been working extremely hard to get to this point but I think like most people, the idea is so different to the reality. :(

If any of you can spare me some kind thoughts Friday morning I'd be grateful.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I remember this very well with the selling of my parents' house, we moved in in October 1961 when I was 2 and sold in March 2013 (when being two was a distant memory!)

I rounded up all the keys from relatives and friends but kept one, the one my Ma had used for over 50 years. It's still attached by its long chain to her handbag (which is just as it was when she died) and kept in a cupboard sitting next to Mr DD's mum's bag. It was a bittersweet moment but it some ways easier for me as everything was handled long-distance; when I shut the front door for the last time I didn't actually realise that that was it.

I will be thinking of you on Friday. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Many hugs coming your way Grace..a lifetime of memories..it will be bitter sweet..I remember it well, although my parents didnt own the house , it had been ours for over 30 years...I will be thinking about you and hope the changeover happens so has not to cause you any more stress..((())) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • GraceB
    Thank you both.

DD I can identify with the key issue. I've had to collect all the sets in that various family members had, and will be leaving one set at the house. The buyer will also get the set currently with the estate agents so he has his two mandatory sets.

My set of keys for the house will be buried in the family plot. It seems apt and appropriate to do that. The other sets I'll destroy.

GraceB
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    I can certainly spare some kind thoughts for you Grace.

Alastair
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    I will have my fingers crossed there are no more hitches. It is a big
    bind that has to be made.
  • GraceB
    Well it completed. I did my last visit just before 10am. It was as difficult as I thought it was going to be.

I dealt with the meter readings first, then took a few more rose cuttings that my brother wanted. Then I did my last walk round, shutting doors as I went. I spent a few moments in the lounge just quietly reflecting and trying to remember the good times we all had there. Eventually I summonsed up the courage to leave, walk out the door and lock up.

It still seems unreal that the house is no longer anything to do with our family, but it's time for the new owners to make their own memories there and the house needs to be a family home once more. It served us well.

So, to No. 36 - thank you. You have been much loved member of the family and one who will always be remembered fondly, with love and affection by all of us.

GraceB
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Awww Grace I feel for you, I do remember walking around mum and dads house..and hearing all the laughter..and also like you we took a cutting of one of dads lavateria.so glad to hear it has gone ahead for you..its been a long road..(()) x
    Love
    Barbara